Research authorship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a nice summer! I'm a rising MS2 doing research this summer, and I've been having a pretty good experience so far. I have one project of my own and it may/may not work out.

However, I'm curious about authorship on another two papers I've been working on. I just helped write and do data analysis for two manuscripts where I'll be 4th author (if it get published). There will be 7 authors total, including 4 med students who are authors 1-4 and authors 5-7 who are senior faculty mentors. I'm just wondering whether this is at all meaningful or since there are so many authors it basically won't count for anything since people will assume I was just "thrown on?" Obviously I'm a med student putting 3 months into research, not a faculty member trying to get tenure so my aims aren't quite as lofty nor is my committment on these papers great enough to be 1st or 2nd author. I'm just curious what people think about how residencies will see it. Personally I'm just psyched to be on something if it does end up getting accepted. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is that it's better than nothing and will depend on the specific person looking over your app. You have the right attitude though by being psyched just to be on something. Most publishable research takes much time, effort, and failure. Most med students won't have more than an abstract/poster.

Agree. Your goals as an MS1/2 are just to get your name out there. When you are trying to rise the ranks of academia, then your # of first author/anchor author pubs will matter.

If you take a research year, then too you should have at least 1 first author pub.