Other OT-Related Information Research-based programs VS. clinical programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hbroth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have been struggling with this question since beginning the application process: are there benefits of choosing an OT program that has a certain focus (research or clinically based)? I know that most programs do a good job of balancing research and clinical skills, but there are some schools that slightly favor one or the other. I am very lucky and grateful to have been accepted to two programs for fall 2014 - but I am struggling to make a decision because the two are very different. One is more clinically driven, while the other seems to focus a bit more on research. While I do believe that a good program should be strong in both, I myself would feel more comfortable/able to succeed in a program that is slightly more clinically driven.

The problem is that the clinical program has a hefty price tag ($88,000 total for tuition alone), which is quite a bit more expensive than the research-based program I was accepted to. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone thinks that a certain program (research versus clinical) will better prepare an OT student to do well in Fieldworks or generally succeed as a full-time occupational therapist. I've heard from some students that all that "really" matters is if a program can prepare you to pass the NBCOT exam, but I'm just wondering if the clinical/research aspects of a program can also affect that.

I might be over-thinking this way too much (this application process has been stressful and has probably made me a tad bit crazy), but I wanted to ask all you lovely SDN users what your thoughts were. :) This post also was a lot longer than I intended it to be, so sorry for that! Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You will likely get enough of each no matter what program you choose. However, I would avoid schools that are heavily focused on research unless you're positive that's something you're excited about doing after graduation. This is the only time in your OT journey that information is going to be "fed" to you. After graduation you will be expected to learn everything else that you don't already know on your own. So, in my opinion, you would be serving yourself and your future clients better to have the strongest breadth of knowledge about being an actual practicing OT as you can.

I attend a "research focused" program, but we only take one research class the entire program. Because it's a MOT program, we are being trained to be clinicians, not researchers. The distinction between a research heavy program and a clinically focused program is negligible. All OT students have to do the same amount of fieldwork, and having a solid understanding of the importance of research in guiding practice is important in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user