Research emphasis = Higher NBDE Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My title states the question.

Members don't see this ad.

jk5177 said:
My title states the question.
Research is just a small factor in applying to residency programs. I was surprised by how uninterested programs were with research experience. Out of all my interviews maybe 2 actually asked briefly about it. If you have the board scores and the rank, research will make you look better. Without high board scores or class rank, research will not do much of anything. Just my opinion!

tjb

Members don't see this ad :)
schools with strong research programs generally have high part 1 nbde scores (Harvard, UPenn) However, I don't think it is purely a cause and effect relationship.

kato999 said:
schools with strong research programs generally have high part 1 nbde scores (Harvard, UPenn) However, I don't think it is purely a cause and effect relationship.

I would conject that schools with strong research implies that it has a strong grounding in the sciences, the professors are probably sharper and more gung-ho about the material.

Maybe that will trickle down to the students, and then lead to high NBDE scores.

Agree? Disagree?

jk5177 said:
I would conject that schools with strong research implies that it has a strong grounding in the sciences, the professors are probably sharper and more gung-ho about the material.

Maybe that will trickle down to the students, and then lead to high NBDE scores.

Agree? Disagree?

Disagree, at least in my experience. Professors doing research are typically very knowledgable in their specific research area, but often are somewhat at a loss for other areas.

Remember that research is typically a pin-point focus, and I think sometimes those involved in research have a tendency to make a macro-world out of a micro situation.

At lastly, I think that those involved in research are often LESS gung-ho about teaching it to students. Most often they love research and find teaching to be a nuisance. Not always of course, but I'm sure we've all encountered this at one point in time.

tjb said:
Research is just a small factor in applying to residency programs. I was surprised by how uninterested programs were with research experience. Out of all my interviews maybe 2 actually asked briefly about it. If you have the board scores and the rank, research will make you look better. Without high board scores or class rank, research will not do much of anything. Just my opinion!

tjb

Which specialty did you apply for?

dc-10 said:
Which specialty did you apply for?
I applied to OMS.

tjb