Research Experience... goods and bads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stifler

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay i like research. i am doing research now. a lot of hands on surgery on small animals particulary stroke models and arterial cannulations.

this is what i like to do. hands on stuff. however i dont wish to get a phd. i just want a MD and in my spare time i wish to research when im older.

do medical schools give a damn about that? or do they dont care about research experience much. i think research is important in medicine even in clinical care where you need to keep yourself up to date and be creative about treating the patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're publishing in Sciene or Nature, most schools don't care that you do research per se. They're really more interested that you're doing something other than sitting in the library studying. Research is, however, a great way to get to know some professors... who can later on right you great letters of recomendation.

Make sure you get some clinical experience; it ranks higher on adcoms list than do most other EC's.

*EDIT* the exception is if you want to do MSTP. In that case you need to do as much research as possible.

stifler said:
okay i like research. i am doing research now. a lot of hands on surgery on small animals particulary stroke models and arterial cannulations.

this is what i like to do. hands on stuff. however i dont wish to get a phd. i just want a MD and in my spare time i wish to research when im older.

do medical schools give a damn about that? or do they dont care about research experience much. i think research is important in medicine even in clinical care where you need to keep yourself up to date and be creative about treating the patients.

Med schools will probably consider it , and the extra research experience should work in your favor. However, you do NOT need a PhD to do research when you are older. So if all you want is an MD and to do research on the side, then you are correct in your goals.