Research experience when applying for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaime52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello this is my first time posting to this website, so sorry if this thread has been discussed before.

I am a sophomore in college thinking about applying to MD/PhD programs my senior year. I was wondering what is considered "good" research experience?

I started working in a corn genetics lab the summer before my freshman year when I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after graduation (so I have been working in the lab for ~2 years). This past fall, I began working on my own project that has been progressing quite well. If I stick with it, I could have a publication by the beginning of my senior year (though probably in a low-teir journal). Also, my boss and supervisor seem very happy with my work, so I am sure they could provide good letters of recommendation (I'll have worked there 3+ years when I begin applying to programs).

I was wondering if it is better to work consistently in a lab, even if it's a plants lab (the techniques and ideas behind them are still relevant), or to work in a more relevant field?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello this is my first time posting to this website, so sorry if this thread has been discussed before.

I am a sophomore in college thinking about applying to MD/PhD programs my senior year. I was wondering what is considered "good" research experience?

I started working in a corn genetics lab the summer before my freshman year when I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after graduation (so I have been working in the lab for ~2 years). This past fall, I began working on my own project that has been progressing quite well. If I stick with it, I could have a publication by the beginning of my senior year (though probably in a low-teir journal). Also, my boss and supervisor seem very happy with my work, so I am sure they could provide good letters of recommendation (I'll have worked there 3+ years when I begin applying to programs).

I was wondering if it is better to work consistently in a lab, even if it's a plants lab (the techniques and ideas behind them are still relevant), or to work in a more relevant field?

3+ years with a publication and independence is great. Corn genetics is fine. Just sell yourself as "applying the scientific principles I've learned towards problems more geared around humans, hence MD-PhD". IMO, staying in the same lab would be better than jumping to a more biomedical one.

I actually think switching labs can be really beneficial as long as you switch to a lab where you'll have your own project at the beginning or soon after you start. Switching labs will give you a whole new research experience on a different topic and allow you to learn different techniques. As long as you can leave on a high, positive note from the current lab, you create the opportunity for two strong rec letters from PIs rather than just one (MD/PhD programs at least 2 letters addressing your research potential - this is easier and your letters will be less redundant/stronger if you've been in two different labs). There are benefits to staying if you'll get a way more in depth experience/ are very likely to get a publication, but I don't think they outweigh the advantages of switching that I mentioned in a lot of cases. I switched labs right before sending in secondaries for MSTP - it was a hard decision but ultimately the new lab gave me way more independence and the research was on a topic I was way more interested in. I ultimately think it really helped my application and talking about my research in interviews. I think whether to stay or to switch is a choice that really depends on an someone's circumstances and what they'd be leaving vs. what they'd be going to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, you guys both make good points.

My PI is a very understanding person, but at the same time I know he would like to have all of us in the lab as long as he can (he took the time to train us, ext.). Do you think he will understand if I do switch?

I also don't even really know where to begin looking for other lab opportunities on campus. I found my current position through a friend.

I actually was in a similar boat when I began applying, having worked in evolutionary genetics for all of my undergrad years. I ended up moving on to a larger, more medically relevant lab after I graduated and I think it was a great decision that really helped my application. Basic science (i.e., corn genetics etc...) is great, but it may be nice for you to have some translational experience. That being said, you can still get into a great MD/PhD program without translational experience. Don't abandon your corn lab for any old medically relevant project. Make sure it's something that really interests you and that you'd be given an opportunity to contribute intellectually to something exciting.

As far as finding the lab, it really depends on where you go to school. If your university has an associated medical school or there is one nearby, I would just start looking through the website for PIs with research that catches your eye. You'd be surprised how receptive people are to receiving emails from excited young students. Good luck!