Research Experiences vs. Posters/Pubs/Presentations/Etc. and Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icunursetodoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have relatively recently (2 months prior) joined an Orthopedic Surgery Research lab. I joined this lab towards the end of my M1 year, and will likely continue my involvement in this lab for the next few years.

This lab claims (and historically has shown) to strive to produce high quality research and high impact papers. As a result, many of the projects are 4-7 year projects, and although I will be heavily involved in these projects- due to the length of the studies, I will likely only be "published" and/or "presenting" 3-4 papers/posters/presentations/etc prior to residency applications/graduation from medical school.

I am currently assigned to 6(likely 9 by residency application time) different studies in a very involved role. Each of these projects are unique and overseen by different surgeons/PIs.

I genuinely enjoy the projects that I am working on, and I enjoy contributing to meaningful research experiences.

1. My question is, will Residencies see longterm multi-study involvement in numerous research experiences as equally as competitive as an applicant who has fewer projects but numerous publications?
2. Should I seek out additional research experiences that will result in opportunities to publish/present/etc in addition to my current intensive research involvement?
3. Are my concerns even remotely valid- or am I completely misunderstanding the "how to become a competitive applicant process?" (I also have other ortho and community outreach related ECs)

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1. I think it's about how you sell it and talk about it. Also it's best to have at least something. Sure, the more the better, but you don't have that luxury. Get as many as you can and go from there.
2. IF there are opportunities the go for it. However, don't jeopardize your current opportunity.
3. Sure, the more the better. However, there are plenty of great applicants who have less than that. It's important for you to have a compelling reason why you want to do ortho. The increase in applicants recently may, in part, be due to certain applicants pursuing ortho because of prestige, money, or other reasons other than a love for ortho. Try to show that is not you. Additionally, you want to show your PI/mentor that you are someone they should "go to bat for." Work hard with them so that, when the time comes, they might be willing to call PDs and assistant PDs to get you interviews and high ranks on rank lists. Mentors can do a lot to help your chances. Is your PI someone that could do that?

Reactions: 1 user
1. I think it's about how you sell it and talk about it. Also it's best to have at least something. Sure, the more the better, but you don't have that luxury. Get as many as you can and go from there.
2. IF there are opportunities the go for it. However, don't jeopardize your current opportunity.
3. Sure, the more the better. However, there are plenty of great applicants who have less than that. It's important for you to have a compelling reason why you want to do ortho. The increase in applicants recently may, in part, be due to certain applicants pursuing ortho because of prestige, money, or other reasons other than a love for ortho. Try to show that is not you. Additionally, you want to show your PI/mentor that you are someone they should "go to bat for." Work hard with them so that, when the time comes, they might be willing to call PDs and assistant PDs to get you interviews and high ranks on rank lists. Mentors can do a lot to help your chances. Is your PI someone that could do that?
Dr. Foresight,

Thank you for your response. I am genuinely extremely passionate about Orthopedic Surgery, and do not see myself pursuing another specialty.

I currently have 3 presentations/publications total (non-orthopedic surgery). I have 2 publications in submission and 2 conference presentations pending in general surgery. I am anticipating 3-4 maybe as high as 6 publications/presentations in orthopedic surgery prior to residency applications.
That would likely make my research experience count~ 11 to 12.... and my publication/presentation/abstract count ~ 10 (as high as 13 if everything goes right) by the time I apply.

Additionally, I am an Anatomy TA, I founded the Orthopedic Surgery Club at my medical school, and am very active and passionate about serving the homeless(board and leadership roles) in my city.

I am hoping that this is enough.

Dr. Foresight,

Thank you for your response. I am genuinely extremely passionate about Orthopedic Surgery, and do not see myself pursuing another specialty.

I currently have 3 presentations/publications total (non-orthopedic surgery). I have 2 publications in submission and 2 conference presentations pending in general surgery. I am anticipating 3-4 maybe as high as 6 publications/presentations in orthopedic surgery prior to residency applications.
That would likely make my research experience count~ 11 to 12.... and my publication/presentation/abstract count ~ 10 (as high as 13 if everything goes right) by the time I apply.

Additionally, I am an Anatomy TA, I founded the Orthopedic Surgery Club at my medical school, and am very active and passionate about serving the homeless(board and leadership roles) in my city.

I am hoping that this is enough.
Ya you’re doing fine! Network, network, network with your home program and others. Foster a great relationship with your PI so that they’ll vouch for you.

Reactions: 1 user