Research Focus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boner

I just blue myself
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To be competitive in NS, do you have to do NS related research? I have a longstanding, general medicine project (detection of MRSA bloodstream infections) that I will be presenting at a major conference and will hopefully be published (as first author) in a major journal within the year. I chose the topic in MS-I as something that is applicable in most areas of medicine. I have been dedicated to the project for 2 years now (and taking it into MS-III year too), but as I read, it seems most applicants have specific NS research experience.
Should I maybe be looking for something on the side that is NS related? Or does the fact that I have a longstanding commitment to a research project seem more positive, as opposed to engaging in a short-term NS-related project?

Members don't see this ad.

i would try to get neurosurgery or neuroscience research experience for several reasons.

1. neurosurgeons tend to only care what pertains to their field. its hard for people to gauge your work if its in another area they dont care or know much about.
2. doing neuroscience/surgery research will better prepare you for rotations/pimping/interviews
3. it will show your program directors that you have thought about it for some time and that you didnt just fall into neurosurgery. it shows them you have the longevity for the field and you will not back out
4. when you get a LOR for research it will come from a neurosurgeon, and I have been told programs only care about letters from neurosurgeons for the most part
5. lastly, if you get a chance to do neurosurgery research you often get nice pimping by your preceptors and you will shine while getting rape pimped. also, there are good chances to scrub into cases when you arent doing research.

start looking for preceptors. most residency programs have research as a requirement. residents like students who can help them out. not likely to get first author unless you bust your arse or until they really trust/like you but I dont think it matters that much as long as your CV is stacked.

good luck!