Research Freedom in PhD Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wapote84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been offered any admission as of yet; however, two of my three serious interviews are most likely going to be offers. This is the deal:

One of my offers is coming with a ridiculous stipend... very good... and I've been told that basically whatever research I want to do in my area I have complete freedom. In addition, I will very likely get help with research money to do my research from my POI.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on this much freedom in programs. Is this a common occurrence, or a rarity? The package seems pretty damn amazing. I have two more interviews this month, but those programs will only have half the amazing stipend offered at this program. Also, the freedom in research is still unknown in the other programs. Of course I'm going to the interviews, but I just want to hear some thoughts on research freedoms and $$$ for research in programs.

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't been offered any admission as of yet; however, two of my three serious interviews are most likely going to be offers. This is the deal:

One of my offers is coming with a ridiculous stipend... very good... and I've been told that basically whatever research I want to do in my area I have complete freedom. In addition, I will very likely get help with research money to do my research from my POI.

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on this much freedom in programs. Is this a common occurrence, or a rarity? The package seems pretty damn amazing. I have two more interviews this month, but those programs will only have half the amazing stipend offered at this program. Also, the freedom in research is still unknown in the other programs. Of course I'm going to the interviews, but I just want to hear some thoughts on research freedoms and $$$ for research in programs.

Well, you know your situation better than we do. So, when you say that you are most likely going to get two offers, I'll assume you're right.

Yes, the freedom that the program is offering you is terrific. Many schools want you to do the faculty's research and dissertations highly in line with the faculty. Thus, the fact that you are being allowed to do whatever you want is AWESOME, especially since your research interests could change by the time you graduate with your PhD. Great funding + freedom = hard to reject school. : )

I hope everything works out for you the way you expect it will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not calling them guaranteed offers in stone; however, I'm about 90% sure because of certain circumstances... and the funding is hard to pass up. I just wasn't sure if that kind of freedom was unusual or not. I was mostly drawn to the program considering the research liberties and possible funding of them. I have the other two interviews to go to, which are in larger cities, which is definitely a positive in my book. But considering how busy I will be in grad school, I wonder how much free time I'll even have to enjoy a larger metropolitan area.

I'm not calling them guaranteed offers in stone; however, I'm about 90% sure because of certain circumstances... and the funding is hard to pass up. I just wasn't sure if that kind of freedom was unusual or not. I was mostly drawn to the program considering the research liberties and possible funding of them. I have the other two interviews to go to, which are in larger cities, which is definitely a positive in my book. But considering how busy I will be in grad school, I wonder how much free time I'll even have to enjoy a larger metropolitan area.

Just remember that self care is important. You don't want to burn out in the first year or two of your program. You will want to find fun things to do--outside of academia--wherever you live!!!

...and I've been told that basically whatever research I want to do in my area I have complete freedom. In addition, I will very likely get help with research money to do my research from my POI. <snip> ...I'm interested in hearing thoughts on this much freedom in programs...

I think healthy skepticism is needed with these sorts of things. Not that dream come true grad school scenarios don't ever happen (I'm in a pretty darn close one now actually :)), but I would be careful and investigate as much as you can. DO NOT just take the POI's word for it. There are slicksters out there who can and do pull bait and switches, and if you are lucky, their students will hint at it. I can't emphasize how important it is to talk to the grad students in the POI's lab and pay close attention to their responses.

If you have already done this and are confident that the students are being forthright with you and seem happy in the program, it seems like you've got a winner! Congrats!

First, Congrats.

Second, be a skeptical consumer, but if it checks out... hey live the dream.

Mark

I get to pretty much do whatever research I want, some programs are fine with that.

I might be a bit skeptical about this, as well. Even if you are given the freedom to do whatever research you'd like, you'll find that it can be very difficult to get things published if they are far outside your advisor's scope of interest. If no faculty members have expertise in your interest, they can't provide much help, even if they'd like to. And publishing without faculty support is tough.

If accepted into a program in which faculty state that students have complete freedom to research topics of their own choosing, what kinds of questions would you ask faculty and students before accepting the offer (in order to verify that research topics really are as open as they say)?