Research grants/funds for international students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysioMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any research funding opportunities for international students?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Funding for Medical School as an international student? I only know of the "opposite" where some of the medical schools that will take international students require the student put up funding for all four years as a condition of matriculation. Johns Hopkins. requires a bond of $300,000
No, OP is asking about research funding, not funding one's medical education.

OP, the short answer is, getting research funding is tough for anyone now. The long answer is, funding opportunities depend on what stage you're at (undergrad, grad student etc.) and what area of research you're interested in.

I know many medical students do summer research and am wondering if being "international" disqualifies one from most grants/funding opportunities, ie. will being "international" really limit research opportunity as a student??

Members don't see this ad :)
I know many medical students do summer research and am wondering if being "international" disqualifies one from most grants/funding opportunities, ie. will being "international" really limit research opportunity as a student??
Yes, being international will limit your research funding opportunities, but it doesn't mean you won't be able to do research in medical school. First of all, student research doesn't always have to be funded by outside sources; depending on the school you go to, there may be some sort of Dean's research scholarships, departmental scholarships etc. Ask your school's student research office (or whatever it's called at your school) for this information. Some research heavy schools have lists of available funding sources.
Second, you can get an outside research scholarship even as an international, though it'll be harder. Again, I don't know what stage you're at and what kind of research you're interested in, so I can't recommend any specific scholarships, but you can look for them yourself - start by checking out NIH and professional organizations in the field of your interest (eg., AHA, IDSA etc.). Research resources web sites of research-heavy schools often have lists of scholarships for medical students (I think Penn's web site has a good list et .), so does AAMC web site. Take a look st eligibility criteria for these scholarships and go from there.
The thing is, if you go to a research heavy school, it most likely has a decent student research office that can help you find research projects, mentors and funding. If this is not the case, you'll have to do a thorough Internet search yourself.

Up hill battle, only because funding is bad enough for domestic students. I would say most students that do summer research are unfunded, unless they are paid by a faculty or receive some extramural funding from a scholarship (not that common and hard to get). Like amygdarya said, it depends on the state of your education, premed, med, etc. If you are in medical school your best bet is to ask faculty and your research office where to start (all schools have this, need to ask). There are so many avenues that are online, such as those previously mentioned, but applying to them shotgun will yield poor results.