Research grants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a medical student, resident, or attending receives a research grant, does all of it have to be itemized and spent on his actual research?

I was under the impression that none of it could be used as salary. However, I recently read another post which stated that professors in some specialties receive no pay, instead they have to rely on grants in lieu of salary.

Can someone please clarify?

Members don't see this ad.

RexKD said:
When a medical student, resident, or attending receives a research grant, does all of it have to be itemized and spent on his actual research?

I was under the impression that none of it could be used as salary. However, I recently read another post which stated that professors in some specialties receive no pay, instead they have to rely on grants in lieu of salary.

Can someone please clarify?
Research funds can cover salary and benefits for time spent working on the grant.

The funds may also cover indirect salaries and expenses for things not directly related to the grant, such as administrative tasks. For example, if a grant is expected to take up 1/2 of the resources of your lab, it should also cover 1/2 the indirect costs of your lab.

Also, the amount of money you can earn is dictated by the salary limits set by your instition. For example, if your institution set your salary at $100,000 a year, you can't get grant funding to bump your salary up to $200,000.