Research-heavy applicant, 3.74cGPA, 3.76sGPA CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonchalance47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Russians used to say that "quantity has a quality on its own". With a good MCAT score, you might want to try an app cycle and see how it goes. I would just add more patient contact experience; we get the idea you're smart, but show off your humanism and altruism.

Hi everyone, I'm applying next cycle after graduation, and would appreciate thoughts on my chances as well as things I could do to boost my application in the next two years.

Personal details:
CA resident, Male, 1.5 generation Asian-American
CA Liberal Arts college, Molecular Biology major (Class of 2014)

Research (most recent first)
SURP at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in HIV (1 summer)
Research abroad at University College London in obesity (1 semester)
SURP at University of Minnesota Medical School in immunology (1 summer)
At home institution in DNA damage and repair (1 semester)
At University of Arizona in DNA damage and repair (1 summer)
At USDA doing high school research (2 summers)

Clinical experience:
(most recent first)
Volunteer at student clinic in the Bronx, shadowing MSIII students and helping patients in their visit to the clinic (1 summer)
Shadowing night shifts in the ER at city hospital, observing attending and helping to run errands (30 hours)
Intern at a outpatient integrative health clinic, keeping in contact with patients to help them achieve health goals (1 semester)
Shadowing in the OR, 2 surgeries (5 hours)
Shadowing in the ICU, seeing patient and family appointments (5 hours)

Extracurriculars:
Head officer at school's climbing club (1 year)
Orientation leader at home institution, leading outdoors trips for the incoming freshmen (1 year)
Fellow for student-run writing workshop for underprivileged kids in middle school (1 year)
Intern and mentor with the Asian American organization on campus (2 years)
Classical guitar student (4 years) and quartet member (1 year)
OChem mentor and TA (1 semester)

I'm definitely concerned about the lack of continuity in my application. I conducted research projects at a number of different institutions, and don't have too many activities that persisted over the time that I was at college. Of course, I can't do too much about that at this point, but I'd appreciate ideas on improving my application, or ways to present myself as an application. In addition, I still have a year to go in addition to a gap year, and would appreciate advice on options in either year.

Thanks for reading.

The Russians used to say that "quantity has a quality on its own". With a good MCAT score, you might want to try an app cycle and see how it goes. I would just add more patient contact experience; we get the idea you're smart, but show off your humanism and altruism.

In heard in soviet russia, the mcat takes you