Research in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I intend to do some research in medical school and hopefully it'll help me come matching time.

But when is the ideal time to do research? I've been on interviews where student ambassadors say that don't get involved in research during M1; start during the school year during M2. But honestly, I feel like that'll be tough to do with school work. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

So I intend to do some research in medical school and hopefully it'll help me come matching time.

But when is the ideal time to do research? I've been on interviews where student ambassadors say that don't get involved in research during M1; start during the school year during M2. But honestly, I feel like that'll be tough to do with school work. What do you all think?

I've only seen students do research between M1 and M2 at Ucsd. And I think ppl suggest doing it M2 because you've become accustomed to the work load in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
I've only seen students do research between M1 and M2 at Ucsd. And I think ppl suggest doing it M2 because you've become accustomed to the work load in medical school.

Between first and second year is the best time. I recommend against doing it during actual school, but breaks (and the biggest one is the last summer break of your life) are fine. You absolutely can look into it during first year, but don't expect to get much done unless you have a break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people may not agree with me, but I am a huge proponent of doing research as early as possible.

With that said, don't load your plate too early until you have a couple tests under your belt and know you are succeeding at whatever level you predetermine for yourself. Once you feel comfortable, I'd dive in. I published 2 papers during M1 and am submitting/publishing a few more by winter break M2 and it by no means impacted my grades, but I did wait until after a couple major tests to know I was academically solid. However, research will eat into your personal time and a new hobby may be lit searching on pub med. I think it's worth it and adds a lot to your career. Even if you think you don't want an academic career, it shows interest in a specialty, ability to take on big projects, mastery of a subject, and is great for networking/LORs/etc.

My 3 major points of advice would be:

1. Seek out research at neighboring MD institutions. There is no point spinning your wheels on small projects that aren't going to get published or even may not get published. Find someone that churns out papers and make the best use of your time.

2. Do clinical research. It's much easier to publish clinical vs basic science and you can do it in the comfort of your own home instead of a lab. I've done and published both and likely won't go back to basic science unless it's a niche field I will 100% be staying in as a career.

3. Wok as early as you can to lock something in summer M1/M2. A lot of spots go fast and early. Reach out to everyone you can, truly sell yourself, and be excited.

Reactions: 2 users
Some people may not agree with me, but I am a huge proponent of doing research as early as possible.

With that said, don't load your plate too early until you have a couple tests under your belt and know you are succeeding at whatever level you predetermine for yourself. Once you feel comfortable, I'd dive in. I published 2 papers during M1 and am submitting/publishing a few more by winter break M2 and it by no means impacted my grades, but I did wait until after a couple major tests to know I was academically solid. However, research will eat into your personal time and a new hobby may be lit searching on pub med. I think it's worth it and adds a lot to your career. Even if you think you don't want an academic career, it shows interest in a specialty, ability to take on big projects, mastery of a subject, and is great for networking/LORs/etc.

1. Seek out research at neighboring MD institutions. There is no point spinning your wheels on small projects that aren't going to get published or even may not get published. Find someone that churns out papers and make the best use of your time.

2. Do clinical research. It's much easier to publish clinical vs basic science and you can do it in the comfort of your own home instead of a lab. I've done and published both and likely won't go back to basic science unless it's a niche field I will 100% be staying in as a career.

3. Wok as early as you can to lock something in summer M1/M2. A lot of spots go fast and early. Reach out to everyone you can, truly sell yourself, and be excited.

How did you reach out to a PI? Were most receptive to a new student coming onto a project? Also, how many hours a week were you spending on research during M1?

How did you reach out to a PI? Were most receptive to a new student coming onto a project? Also, how many hours a week were you spending on research during M1?

Commitments per week were extremely variable. For example, if drafts, data sets, or revisions were due I could spend hours a day for a few days on it. I could then go weeks with no work. That's the beauty of clinical research. Over the summer I worked 10-12hrs/day for 6 weeks.

I reached out via email stating my experience, what I thought I had to offer (really sell yourself), and my interest. Nothing special, just emails. The two projects I've been on as a student I had zero background in so don't let that deter you. I also selected med schools originally solely based on connections/nearby research so I'll admit, that helped.

I agree with everything Ender says on this topic. Like them, I waited until after the first semester to know I was academically solid. Then reached out to PIs at local allopathic institutions in the department of my intended specialty. Just email and include your CV or describe your experience and offer to send your CV. Summer between M1 and M2 is the best time for a big project, but there will be other periods of lighter work and free time. Aim to publish (and do clinical to expedite that) but don't expect it to necessarily make a huge impact on your competitiveness for residency. It can be field dependent but in many fields an extra 10 points on Step 1 will trump all that hard work you put in to research. However it gives you something to talk about during interviews, and like Ender said it shows you're dedicated to the field. It can also yield great LORs for residency (2 of mine are from anesthesiologists whose labs I worked in).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Do you have any suggestions for students who don't have a nearby allopathic institution to get involved with? The nearest to me would be a 2.5 hour drive, or is it still possible to work with them by distance only meeting once every few months or so?

I'm originally from Chicago so I could potentially try and set something up at one of the many medical schools in that area, but I'm not sure how open they would be to a student outside their institution, not to mention outside of their state, and it may be difficult to continue with M2 starting back up.

Just curious, any info is greatly appreciated

Can anyone hear speak for completing an HHMI fellowship or year long project? Am thinking about applying for one from my prior research.

There was a DO a few years back who got the HHMI fellowship. I believe he applied two years in a row, but was determined and eventually got it. He wrote about it in the Research and Publishing sub forum.

Do you have any suggestions for students who don't have a nearby allopathic institution to get involved with? The nearest to me would be a 2.5 hour drive, or is it still possible to work with them by distance only meeting once every few months or so?

I'm originally from Chicago so I could potentially try and set something up at one of the many medical schools in that area, but I'm not sure how open they would be to a student outside their institution, not to mention outside of their state, and it may be difficult to continue with M2 starting back up.

I looked up summer research internships for medical students on Google. That's where I found institutions that will take you for ten or so weeks in the summer and even give you a stipend/housing.

I'd see what is going on at your home program first then. Reach out to whomever is in charge of research at your school or faculty whose field interests you. I got a small project through that route that I worked on in addition to outside research. It resulted in a pub that came out of nowhere and I was very glad I did it.

If your on a clinical project analyzing patient data/outcomes/etc it won't matter if you can come back and visit the program once you get rolling. Everything can be done via email/phone. I will be submitting a few papers for an M1 summer project and will likely not go back to the place I did the research at for a full calendar year. Don't let that stop you. Start looking for summer stuff as soon as you can at places that interest you.

Concur. But students at my school who are really good at time mgt are able to come to the lab and putter around on a small project. Our students have published and gone to conference to present their data. So, it's doable.

Between first and second year is the best time. I recommend against doing it during actual school, but breaks (and the biggest one is the last summer break of your life) are fine. You absolutely can look into it during first year, but don't expect to get much done unless you have a break.

Reactions: 1 users