research in theoretical chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medfoodie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've been working in theoretical chemistry since my sophomore year of high school, and i'm about to start my undergraduate education this fall. my question is if i want to do a md/phd, should i continue doing work in this field, or should i move to a more biologically-focused field for research? does it matter what i do research in for md/phd applications? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so i've been working in theoretical chemistry since my sophomore year of high school, and i'm about to start my undergraduate education this fall. my question is if i want to do a md/phd, should i continue doing work in this field, or should i move to a more biologically-focused field for research? does it matter what i do research in for md/phd applications? thanks!

There's actually a good amount of theoretical chemistry nowadays, with medicinal and biological applications, particularly in the are of protein dynamics, small molecule drug discovery. I did my phd in computational modeling (involving mostly classical stat mech , though you could certainly adventure into the quantum world), with applications to biological systems. Google "molecular dynamics, biophysics, computational biology, or computational biochemistry", you'll find several groups. The 2013 Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded for this field.