Research Input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartrate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a reasonable amount of work/time put in to be published as third/fourth author (or maybe even lower, and not guaranteed) from a small lab? This is volunteer/unpaid work.

I am curious because my postdoc expects me to be doing experiments from 9:00 AM to about 7:00 PM everyday. Compared to the other people in the lab, I seem to be doing disproportionately high amounts of work. What I am doing is not even an established or a routine thing either, as I am almost independently in charge of elucidating a certain pathway and its drug interactions (being vague for anonymity). Sometimes I feel the experiments given to me are pointless too, so this adds to my frustration. My postdoc does not seem to be a very mindful/sharp person (frequent mistakes, sloppy work, ignorant about published findings in his area of research), which makes me question some of the things I am supposed to do. This is my first research experience, but I am pointing out a lot of experimental aspects and published findings that are new to the postdoc...this does not seem right!

I probably would not mind so much if I did not have the added stress of med-school apps, which are not going so well. Maybe I can just hang in there and dutifully do all the work assigned to me, since it is only for another 8 months or so... but the last time I did this I incurred possibly permanent damage to my health...

I guess on the bright side, there probably is not many people out there who is able to be published within a year's time (albeit 3rd/4th or lower rank) with no prior research experience... and I am learning a lot and able to perform the experiments I do very well because of the sheer practice I get.

Bleh, maybe I just needed to vent.

Members don't see this ad.

The FAQ talks about the level of work required to get 1st, second, etc. authorship.

From your post, it sounds like you're getting a raw deal. Working those hours without pay is pretty bad. If you're cool with it, then fine, but I'd look for a job that pays and gets me pubs, education, etc.

Agreed. I think it's situations like these that make some people hate research. You shouldn't have to be forced to do poorly designed projects for no pay. IMO: if you're doing the research only for authorship, get the hell out of there and either:

A. Find another lab that pays, or
B. Write a case report/review article. No, it's not typically as meaningful as published bench-work, but it'll only take you a few weeks, it'll be first author, and it will still look good to medical schools.