Research Inquiry Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this an acceptable email to send to faculty when inquiring about research opportunities in their field?

Dear Dr. ___,
Thank you again for setting up my shadowing experience in ____. I found the experience very helpful. I'd like to continue gaining exposure to ____ and am interested in getting involved in research in the field. Do you have any recommendations for who I should contact about current opportunities for medical students?
Best,
____

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, that's fine.
It may help to be more specific about what your research interests are.
And if you don't get a reply, don't worry about it. They're just busy.

Reactions: 1 users
2 things:

My advice is ask in person. It’s more direct and you’re more likely to get the answer you’re looking for rather than an unanswered email.

Second, it can help to come to the doc with some sense of what they’ve done research on before, if they are currently doing research, and what steps you would need to take with the IRB if starting a new project.

This is how I got involved in the paper I’m currently writing.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above responses.

Try to be more specific about the type of research because that'll probably be what they'll ask you next. Also, I'm not sure if you can find all the faculty and the research they're working on, but that's what I looked through and contacted someone directly. They got back to me a day later.

Also quick question for anyone (that's semi-related): The surgeon told me that her administrator would reach out to me to set up a meeting but she hasn't yet. It's been like five dsys, so should I wait a bit longer or email back soon?