Research Interests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FantasyVesperia

Always pushing forward...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore and I've decided to get my feet wet a little and try to get some research under my belt. I've never done research before, so I thought this will be a good time to see what I like, what I don't like, and so on. My major is molecular biology but I'm interested in doing chemistry research. My advisor is a little iffy of my decision, so this raised some concerns.

Is it okay to participate in research that's outside your field of study? I like chemistry and this lab has some public health aspects of it which I think is pretty cool. I just don't want the professor I'm interested in to not take me on because of my major. To rephrase it, do I have to be a chemistry major to participate in chemistry research?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's the PI's decision what students to accept in their lab. With that being said, if you're interested and the PI agrees, I don't think you need to be a chemistry major to do chemistry research.

You said this chemistry research has public health aspects - could you argue a biology connection (through organic chemistry, maybe) to the PI?

I agree. It is up to the PI in the lab. I would suggest doing research that interests you, even if it's outside your major. I had 3 years of research experience in the evolution and ecology graduate department on my campus, even though I was not an EVE major. I sent out a couple of emails asking professors if they had openings in their labs and some got back to me for an interview. I also knew some people who asked their TAs from classes to see if they needed an assistant on their research as well. I think it's most important that you are genuinely interested in the research, and if you are, it will be easy to convey that to whoever is in charge.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the PI's decision what students to accept in their lab. With that being said, if you're interested and the PI agrees, I don't think you need to be a chemistry major to do chemistry research.

You said this chemistry research has public health aspects - could you argue a biology connection (through organic chemistry, maybe) to the PI?

One project focuses on the adaptations of amphibians and other species to certain chemical contaminants.... I'm not a scientist, but I believe this could have some genetic components....

Absolutely not! I'm a bio major and although I've worked on a few research projects within the realm of biology, I got a job doing organic peptide synthesis with one of my organic chemistry professors. It's been a great experience and I've learned A TON about research in general because I've had experiences in different laboratories with different faculty members as research advisors.

I agree with what everyone else said about it being up to the PI.
I helped with research in the Environmental Toxicology department even though I was an Animal Science major. I got involved with my research because the grad student in the lab needed some help with her project, and the PI agreed to take me on. Even though I joined specifically to gain more hands on experience with mice, I learned that I want to continue with research in the future, but preferably in fields other than etox.

If you can make a good impression with the PI, and if they can accommodate more help in the lab, I wouldn't anticipate your major being an issue at all.