Research mentor: A little perplexed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomorrowgirl99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the problem:
I just asked my research mentor to write me a letter of recommendation and she said yes. However, she is used to writing letters for one school and I told her that the same letter would be seen by all the schools. She doesn't know what she should include in this letter to make it "stand out" without tailoring it for a specific school. What do you guys suggest? What did your mentor write? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

tomorrowgirl99 said:
Here is the problem:
I just asked my research mentor to write me a letter of recommendation and she said yes. However, she is used to writing letters for one school and I told her that the same letter would be seen by all the schools. She doesn't know what she should include in this letter to make it "stand out" without tailoring it for a specific school. What do you guys suggest? What did your mentor write? Thanks

If folks told you what their mentors wrote (assuming they know despite having waived the right to see it), there would be a thousand similar letters in the coming cycle and no one would stand out. It's better not to know what others' letters said, to enhance the chance of yours being original and personal.

Wow,um.. okay. I was just wondering what route my mentor should take becasue she isn't writing about a specific school.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is strange. Has she ever wrote a LOR for a premedical student? It seems this is more her issue than yours. Perhaps she could get into contact with the premedical advisors at your school for help. You aren't asking for something out of the ordinary!

You could create a Mail Merge for her, with all of your schools and school addresses. In MS Word, that is. She can keep some of the paragraphs the same but then tailor it here and there for you if she so chooses.

:luck: