Research on a CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamimama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Pre-med here wondering how to effectively portray research on application/CV.

First: how do you represent an abstract that you wrote/worked on that was presented at a conference, even if you were not the presenter, vice versa, how do you portray when you were the presenter?
Second: Is there specific format that should be used for publications (aka mla?)
Third: What about research projects that you are currently working on, also how do you portray abstracts/manuscripts that were written but have not been accepted anywhere yet?

Finally, a bit awkward but wondering if this happens to other people. I work in a lab and on several studies have come up with my own research question, collected the data, analyzed it, and written manuscripts (so start to finish was my work) but then when I give it to my PI, she puts grad students on the publication and I end up 3rd author on my own work. How do I portray to admissions how much of it was really my work without sounding like I am playing tattle-tale on my PI/complaining?

Members don't see this ad.

When I wrote my descriptions for the AMCAS ECs, I noticed that my abstract was a bit too long for the character limit. I decided to take certain components from the abstract and modify the rest to just say what I did, what we found, and what this experience taught me about research/working in a team environment/my commitment to medicine/etc.

Just tell them what you did and be as honest as you can. Try not to worry too much about abstract semantics; if you have publications, state that they are available upon request or provide a short sentence explaining where to find them. For instance, I have a published bacteriophage genome and I gave them the PubMed index number.

For your #3, I suggest you just say what the project is, what you did, and what it's taught you. You may mention that you are in the process of working on a publication, but I don't think that would add much.

For your final question, I suggest you do the same thing. No need to say "I did all the work and my professor stiffed me." Just say what you did, and mention there's a publication. Good luck!

1. List it under a presentation category, usually only primary author presentation go here.
2. Pick a journal (i.e. Cell, Nature, or PNAS) and use their paper citation format
3. Abstracts/manuscripts that have not been accepted cannot be listed
4. Nothing you can really do except state what you did in the description section and ask your PI to also confirm this in LOR. Don't say things like "All the work in the paper was done by me and I shouldve been first author"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you want to highlight one component of your work, I would classify all research activities under a single "research" entry and then briefly describe the project(s) and cite anything that was presented/published. With respect to detailing your role in the lab, it will be difficult to include lots of information about your work depending upon how much stuff you've done given the character limits on AMCAS. One way to get around this would be to mark research as a "meaningful activity," which will give you more space to elaborate on the activity. I wouldn't do that unless you genuinely consider the activity to be "meaningful," though.

Things are listed somewhat differently on a CV, but you can find this information by Googling. You can also check out the websites of your individual professors if your school does that kind of thing. It's relatively common for professors to include their CVs online, and that'll give you a sense of how to include research activities.

It goes down a lot smoother in general when it is the PI in their letter talking about your accomplishments like collecting your own data and things you did to help with a paper even if you got no authorship than you trying to mention it alone

@Catalystik Has a good link but it's really in your best interest to try and get your Rec letter to also back up some these claims you have in your CV. Talk to your PI and tell them how important is they state your specific contributions in terms of data. If you really did collect significant data even if it wasn't used in the paper Theres a good chance the PI will list it