Research or Internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sundome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If you had the option of doing either research or a lab animal internship during the school year, which would you choose? I have very little research experience and I've done lab animal stuff for the last three months at two different universities.

I would like to get involved in research, but I also would like to learn more about lab animal medicine. So I guess the question is, would lots of different types of experiences be better or would it be better to focus on one thing?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Vary your experiences! Breadth and diversity is better than only having experience in one field!
But also consider what you're most interested in. And which internship will get you more exposure with a vet?

I'd say research - if it is animal model research, you'll still have exposure to lab animals. You will simply see them used in a different light, which might compliment your clinical lab animal experience nicely.

Thanks for your inputs!

I will be working with gnoto- mice so you are probably right, but since there won't be a direct vet I'll be working with, it won't technically be veterinary experience yes?