Research oriented schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benelli

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about a year from finishing my pre-pharmacy requirements, so it's time to start thinking about schools. I am hoping to go into pharmaceutical research and was curious what schools would be able to assist with the learning required to do so. What schools are focused on research?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You're going to get people asking why you're going for PharmD and not a PhD. Know the answer. (I'm still getting the same thing, as I'm applying to dual degree programs and am interested in working in the industry.)

2. Look for schools that also have a strong graduate program, academic medical center, or other attributes that might indicate they are research oriented. Generally large public schools will probably have these.

The schools that come to my mind first are:
UCSF: they have 3 separate tracks to focus on and one of those is research
Michigan: I believe you are required to complete a research project
As well as Washington, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland, Texas, Florida, etc.

I found this thread very helpful when I started my school search:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=628925&highlight=research+oriented+schools

I'll be applying this summer/fall. If you have any questions that you think I might be able to help you with, please ask.

Good luck! :)

Thanks!

There are a lot of professions that a Pharm.D can assist with, and there is more aspects to pharmacy than just working in the retail aspect. I am focusing on those other aspects.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working on a research project now, and even got a grant to continue working on it! There are some great opportunities at Minnesota for research of all sorts.

UNC. Second in the nation in amount of funding for research. They have 52 research faculty alone that do just that and nothing else. Hence, all the drugs invented there.

Any of the top 10 schools have the cash for great research opportunities/projects. It is all about what school is a good fit for you :) choose wisely!

From my interview there, I got the impression that Iowa was big on research. Or at least, they encouraged research even if that wasn't your main focus. (There was someone who worked in a chem lab and another who worked as a research assistant).
I am not sure how their graduate research is but they definitely seemed open students getting into research.

I actually would think all of the Big 10 schools would have good programs and encourage research.

I am about a year from finishing my pre-pharmacy requirements, so it's time to start thinking about schools. I am hoping to go into pharmaceutical research and was curious what schools would be able to assist with the learning required to do so. What schools are focused on research?

SUNY at Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences