Research Pre-Med School & Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CLAF211

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be beginning medical school in Fall 2016 after spending over 6 years working full-time in clinical research at a very well-known academic institution. The con of working at such a big place (and on many multicenter trials) is that I only have a poster authorship and am credited in a few NEJM papers as part of the overall study team (so my name doesn't appear in the byline but if you search me, it comes up on PubMed). I have had thousands of hours of patient contact, research design & management, and shadowing, though.

My question revolves around how PD's view this pre- med school research. Is it looked at differently than research conducted while a medical student?

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know this as well.

I am in my gap year and am conducting research. My PI is publishing a couple of papers, too. I wonder how PDs will look at this, since it is before starting medical school.

Publications are forever so if your work was significant enough to warrant authorship on a paper that is a meaningful accomplishment. Be sure to continue pursuing research in med school though.

Reactions: 2 users