research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohhi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I love the research job I have at my university. I basically get credits to learn from a postdoc different techniques and help her out with stuff. I've gotten increasingly independent in what she has me do, but sometimes I talk to other people at my uni about their research jobs. A lot of them are like, designing experiments and doing them - on their own or with the help of a grad student or something. I feel like I'm learning a lot, but is my situation not the norm?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I love the research job I have at my university. I basically get credits to learn from a postdoc different techniques and help her out with stuff. I've gotten increasingly independent in what she has me do, but sometimes I talk to other people at my uni about their research jobs. A lot of them are like, designing experiments and doing them - on their own or with the help of a grad student or something. I feel like I'm learning a lot, but is my situation not the norm?

These positions are always what you make of them. If you feel like you've demonstrated competence/dependability/intellectual curiosity, see if you can talk to the PI about getting more involved.

I found it really helpful to attend my lab's meetings... That was kind of my foot in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergraduate experience was pretty much "do this and report back to me". There really wasn't much independent thinking, more just good lab technique. I would say your experience is closer to the norm than your friend's.

Survivor DO

be initiative,

start your own experiment and show it to her when you are done

be initiative,

start your own experiment and show it to her when you are done

This can be a bad thing too.

The best thing that you can do is search publications or research articles that are related to your PI's work. Pick the one that interests you and show it to your PI. Propose or brainstorm an experiment and it's all good.