Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysdnhandle

Joe the Plumber
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In undergrad, I did a lot of research. No publications but ultimately many, many hundreds, maybe well over a thousand hours working on research projects/studies (some paid, some not). I went to a top undergrad and think I took advantage of the opportunities I had and don't regret it. I do, however, not want to do research anymore.

I want to be a doctor and am not sure what kind I would like to be yet. But from what I can tell, if I want to enter competitive specialties (and some of those I am interested in are competitive) I should expect to have at least a publication. To be competitive several!? I'm a little disillusioned with this. There are so many unknowns in research...why is this an expected "due" to be paid for medicine? There are lots of PhDs..post docs who are professional researchers. I want an MD to practice medicine but the research expectations seem like there's a hidden MS or even PhD attached to your MD to be competitive. I understand the depth of knowledge you can get doing research but it's clearly not necessary to be a good doctor.

I guess my question is...how important, really, are publications these days?

It has less to do with how important they REALLY are for success in competitive specialties. It has more to do with how competitive those specialties are.

You have 2 top-of-their-class, very likeable med school grads in front of you. One has 2 publications. The other did no research. They are otherwise equal. Which is the better candidate? Well the one with more stuff!

It's like volunteering in undergrad. You just have to do it for those competitive specialties. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there alternatives to research? What about field things like volunteering abroad for an extended period of time in Latin America? What about something like ski patrol? I really don't want to have to do research. I'd be interested in distinguishing myself in other ways as a residency applicant if they exist.

I believe it will depend on the type of field you wish to pursue.

An applicant with no research experience trying to get a residency position at a tier 1 research hospital for cardiology may not have as much luck.

But this same applicant with no research may have a better chance to match in a more rural based residency program because even though they have no research, their extensive volunteering commitment to rural communities fills the mission of that residency

Is part of the problem that the "top residencies" focus on making leaders in medicine - ie academic physicians? They want their grads to go on to head departments and get the Nobel prizes.

Maybe there are "top clinical" residencies, for people who just want to be doctors. They might not have any prestige, because they don't publish as much, but they might provide great training.
^this probably describes most residencies.