Reselling returned items, your thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmaguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the issue in a nutshell: Customer returns a blood glucose meter he "purchased" but did not have a receipt. Cust service guy takes the machine back, issues a gift card. Customer leaves the building, and cust service person gets suspicious and runs a register report which reveals customer in fact did not purchase the meter at our store. However, store manager instructs pharmacy personnel to put meter back on the shelf and re-sell to recoup our losses from the issuance of the gift card.

My issue:
1. The chain of custody has been broken. I have no idea where this machine has been or how it has been stored. It is still in date and the plastic seal on the top of the box is still intact, but it easily could have been opened from the bottom and tampered with, used, etc. It's the dead of winter, and I cannot verify if the meter, strips, and control solution have been stored within the manufacturer's specified temp ranges.
2. I think it's just plain irresponsible to sell a meter that's been returned. Does this store resell food that's been returned? If so, that's just plain disgusting and I would never shop there again.

To top things off, I never actually talked to the store mgr about it, but he went ahead and sent an email to my DM (and didn't even CC me on it). DM said whatever, just handle it, if rph doesnt want to sell have him call manufacturer and get a replacement.

your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the issue in a nutshell: Customer returns a blood glucose meter he "purchased" but did not have a receipt. Cust service guy takes the machine back, issues a gift card. Customer leaves the building, and cust service person gets suspicious and runs a register report which reveals customer in fact did not purchase the meter at our store. However, store manager instructs pharmacy personnel to put meter back on the shelf and re-sell to recoup our losses from the issuance of the gift card.

My issue:
1. The chain of custody has been broken. I have no idea where this machine has been or how it has been stored. It is still in date and the plastic seal on the top of the box is still intact, but it easily could have been opened from the bottom and tampered with, used, etc. It's the dead of winter, and I cannot verify if the meter, strips, and control solution have been stored within the manufacturer's specified temp ranges.
2. I think it's just plain irresponsible to sell a meter that's been returned. Does this store resell food that's been returned? If so, that's just plain disgusting and I would never shop there again.

To top things off, I never actually talked to the store mgr about it, but he went ahead and sent an email to my DM (and didn't even CC me on it). DM said whatever, just handle it, if rph doesnt want to sell have him call manufacturer and get a replacement.

your thoughts?

Chain of custody has been broken...call the manufacturer and replace it. I wouldnt resell it...And dont listen to some douche store manager...WTF does he know! Or a DM for that fact!

You can't accept open glucose meters back because they are a biohazard. The customer has to contact the manufacturer at that point.

Members don't see this ad :)

My issue:

your thoughts?

yeah that is utterly disgusting. Someone could have used it. You don't know what happened with it. Don't listen to that ******* store manager.

You cannot resell a returned glucose meter. That is just wrong.

Why is the customer service person dealing with a return that might be a biohazard? Shouldn't the interns or the clerks deal with that and ask the pharmacist?

When the customer comes back, ask them if they have any used insulin syringes, because you'll gladly take those back as well. Hey, you can sell them as a package deal along with the meter. You can call it a Biohazard Closeout!

At Radioshack we always took items that were returned, taped the package up, and sold them at full price. Unless they were earphones/headphones, then I would just send it back to the manufacturer.

:laugh: You aint working at radioshack :laugh::laugh: Sparda you crack me up!

Why is the customer service person dealing with a return that might be a biohazard? Shouldn't the interns or the clerks deal with that and ask the pharmacist?

customer went to the front service desk, not the pharmacy. duped the cust service clerk into giving him a gift card. See, the front store is irritated they lost 60 bucks, and want me to deal with it. i refused, and then the email goes to my DM. I got to thinking, would they resell a steak if someone returned it?

At Radioshack we always took items that were returned, taped the package up, and sold them at full price. Unless they were earphones/headphones, then I would just send it back to the manufacturer.
Yes, but used electronic goods don't pose a health risk to the person that buys them. A used glucose meter involves another person's blood, which is obviously a biohazard. That customer service rep is an idiot.

customer went to the front service desk, not the pharmacy. duped the cust service clerk into giving him a gift card. See, the front store is irritated they lost 60 bucks, and want me to deal with it. i refused, and then the email goes to my DM. I got to thinking, would they resell a steak if someone returned it?

Why didn't he send the customer to the pharmacy? It's his/her fault for trying to deal with it instead of sending the customer to someone who can handle it.

I would inform the store manager that the pharmacy must deal with things like that instead of the customer service person because of potential biohazards.

@our store customer service takes ANYTHING back. but anywho i would take the meter and send it back with expired meds and hopefully get 20-40% credit back for it

Members don't see this ad :)
@our store customer service takes ANYTHING back. but anywho i would take the meter and send it back with expired meds and hopefully get 20-40% credit back for it

Is it even worth it to get only that much back?

:laugh: You aint working at radioshack :laugh::laugh: Sparda you crack me up!

I used to work at Radioshack before I got into pharmacy, left because the ****ers kept increasing the amount you needed to sell to make commission. When I started, you made either minimum wage($5.15/hr) or 5% of your total sales + bonuses for special items (cell phone plans, cell phones, etc), whatever was higher (good system), then they changed it so that your DPH amount(Dollar Per Hour) had to be higher than $100 in order to make commission + bonuses (which were reduced).

So in 2005, I had $4000 in sales the week of Black Friday, I made around $300 that week. In 2006, my sales the week of Black Friday were $13000, because of the change I only made $350 that week, whereas in the old system I would have made at least $650.

Last edited:
I used to work at Radioshack before I got into pharmacy, left because the ****ers kept increasing the amount you needed to sell to make commission. When I started, you made either minimum wage($5.15/hr) or 5% of your total sales + bonuses for special items (cell phone plans, cell phones, etc), whatever was higher (good system), then they changed it so that your DPH amount(Dollar Per Hour) had to be higher than $100 in order to make commission + bonuses (which were reduced).

So in 2005, I had $4000 in sales the week of Black Friday, I made around $300 that week. In 2006, my sales the week of Black Friday were $13000, because of the change I only made $350 that week, whereas in the old system I would have made at least $650.

Yeah, ok? I was laughing at the fact that the topic at hand is about returning a potentially used biohazard item versus you talking about electronics...Anyway, Im just chuckling cause I think you're funny man! Thats all...Dont take offense...

Yeah, ok? I was laughing at the fact that the topic at hand is about returning a potentially used biohazard item versus you talking about electronics...Anyway, Im just chuckling cause I think you're funny man! Thats all...Dont take offense...

Those electronics could be a biohazard if you... uhh.. you know :laugh:

With proper use it shouldn't be a biohazard. I once read an FML from the website www.fmylife.com where this guy tried to return his laptop, but he couldn't because it was considered a biohazard. I'll let you guess why it became a biohazard :laugh:

With proper use it shouldn't be a biohazard. I once read an FML from the website www.fmylife.com where this guy tried to return his laptop, but he couldn't because it was considered a biohazard. I'll let you guess why it became a biohazard :laugh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: i cant stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not fond of the idea of sharing earbuds with complete strangers.

I'm not fond of the idea of sharing earbuds with complete strangers.

At least it's just ear wax and not bodily fluids such as blood...gross...but i still wouldnt want to share ear buds either...

A restaurant was filmed by a mole taking uneaten food off customers plates and giving to the next customer. Rule in UK is that all returned meds have to be destroyed. Glucose meters cost less than $10 in UK as used to get strip business. Rather like King Gillette and razors and printer manfs.
johnep

What about returning Rx medications? I would never re-dispense tablets in a vial that left the store of course. However, I don't exactly have a problem accepting sealed items (unopened birth control packs) for return, but I know of some pharmacists that will send those out as damaged.

What about returning Rx medications? I would never re-dispense tablets in a vial that left the store of course. However, I don't exactly have a problem accepting sealed items (unopened birth control packs) for return, but I know of some pharmacists that will send those out as damaged.

Unopened birth control dispensed to Susie Q on Monday.

The meds sit in Susie Q's car Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Susie Q lives in Phoenix.

Susie Q doesn't have covered parking.

It's August.

Susie Q's doctor switches her to a different OC on Friday, and wants to know if she can bring her unopened pack to you for an exchange/refund.

Now...would you really be comfortable re-selling these meds to a relative? If not, you shouldn't be re-selling them to anyone.

kroger will take back a gallon of milk that's almost empty and give you a full refund. why did they return it? just cuz they didn't like it. happened to the lady right in front of me
i should do that with all my groceries and just eat for free

There are two different issues here. The first is are you allowed to take back the item and the second is are you permitted to re-sell the item.

The answer to the first is yes. The answer to the second is probably not and it depends on what the item is and what your state law permits.

If Mr. Smith comes into the store and picks up something for Mrs. Smith and takes it to the car where Mrs Smith sees it's not what she wanted, and it is returned five minutes later, would you feel uncomfortable reselling the item?

If it's any medication five days in hot weather would you feel comfortable selling that?

It's not that hard, what you do from a customer service point of view and what you do from a legal/pharmaceutical perspective are two different things.

As to the OP, most state laws prohibit you from selling an item as new if the box is opened. That goes for computers, TV's, and Blood Glucose Monitors...

Unopened birth control dispensed to Susie Q on Monday.

The meds sit in Susie Q's car Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Susie Q lives in Phoenix.

Susie Q doesn't have covered parking.

It's August.

Susie Q's doctor switches her to a different OC on Friday, and wants to know if she can bring her unopened pack to you for an exchange/refund.

Now...would you really be comfortable re-selling these meds to a relative? If not, you shouldn't be re-selling them to anyone.

do you think subjecting a tablet to 130 degree heat for 5 days would change the effectiveness of the drug? If so then mail order to southern states would be illegal.

do you think subjecting a tablet to 130 degree heat for 5 days would change the effectiveness of the drug? If so then mail order to southern states would be illegal.

130 degrees- kind of dicey IMO

180 degrees or more- no chance

"The atmosphere and the windows of a car are relatively “transparent” to the sun’s shortwave radiation (yellow in figure below) and are warmed little. However this shortwave energy does heat objects that it strikes. For example, a dark dashboard or seat can easily reach temperatures in the range of 180 to over 200 degrees F."
http://ggweather.com/heat/

This study was done in Fremont, CA- not exactly the desert southwest.

Dashboard and seats reaching 200 degrees or more. Hmmm...I wonder where those meds were sitting for the last five days.;)