Reserves and Undergrad/Med School possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Grizzly

Space for rent.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to be a freshman in university starting Fall 2011. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I signed a 6 year reserve contract with the Marine Corps?

Edit: I wont be majoring in biology or any sciences for that matter.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to be a freshman in university starting Fall 2011. Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I signed a 6 year reserve contract with the Marine Corps?

Edit: I wont be majoring in biology or any sciences for that matter.

So you want to join me here at Moonbase, AFGN? If you enter the USMC Reserves, you will in all likelihood end up deploying during that six years. Probably twice. It will extend the time it takes to complete college. (don't let them tell you otherwise.)

I'll be an 0311 reservist out of Florida. Being able to deploy is important to me, so I dont mind. Thanks again and Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I left active duty in 2007 and went back to undergrad in Florida while remaining in the military through the National Guard. It can be difficult when you have a test on a Monday following a drill weekend, but it's certainly doable. I was lucky in that both my professors and my unit were flexible with regards to what I was doing.

When I joined, I knew that my unit would be deploying right after I finished with my degree, so as long as you're good with that - I say good luck to you.

Why are you signing on for 6 years though - if you don't mind answering? I would sign a shorter term contract to start. That way, you can see if it's something you want to put up with for the next 6 years.

In the reserves, The GI Bill and bonuses are only awarded to those who enlist for 6x2(6 Reserves, 2 IRR).

Anything less and you forfeit those benefits

In the reserves, The GI Bill and bonuses are only awarded to those who enlist for 6x2(6 Reserves, 2 IRR).

Anything less and you forfeit those benefits

I'm aware of the rules for benefits.

The benefits may not be worth it to you if you're miserable or you have a commander who doesn't care about your education. I strongly recommend that you sign on for the minimum at first. If you can do one year then do it. If it's a good year - then by all means sign on for 6.

A smart play might be to talk to people from the unit that you're going to. Talk to the commander and see what he says. Also, see how much command time he has left.

Or, you could just roll the dice.