Residencies and DOs 10 years into the future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notrack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go into either primary care or geriatrics. Increasingly, I'm finding more an more articles about a residency squeeze and fear that there simply won't be residency spots for all domestic medical graduates. Should I be afraid? No one wants to throw down nearly 300-400k and be without a job. I actually know of a graduate (IMG of course and somewhat low scores for USMLE I and II) who's been out nearly 3 years and cannot find residency. Luckily, she's got a wealthy background and can intern.

some food for thought:
http://notadoctorjustamd.blogspot.c...howComment=1427172072515#c3535627127933567282

Match-rate statistics from schools--can they be falsified? I know law schools falsified their employment statistics for a number of years. Are DO and MD schools doing the same?

Yikes! What are contingency plans if there is no residency?

Members don't see this ad.

The first to go will be the IMG spots, other than for the few superstars they produce.

This blog has been posted before and discussed ad nauseum. There were huge red flags brought up that the author decided not to talk about.

If you do well (even 'decent') on the boards and don't fail classes, and apply broadly to residemcy specialties which accept stats similar to yours, and you aren't a jerk, you will very much likely match as a DO. My school had 100% for the past 2 years. There's not a residency squeeze for American graduates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've spoken to several our my Clinical deans...the guys who directly are responsible for our grads getting into residency, and each one is quite blithe about how there will NOT be a residency shortage.

The bus that's coming is that IMGs are going to feel a huge squeeze.

I want to go into either primary care or geriatrics. Increasingly, I'm finding more an more articles about a residency squeeze and fear that there simply won't be residency spots for all domestic medical graduates. Should I be afraid? No one wants to throw down nearly 300-400k and be without a job. I actually know of a graduate (IMG of course and somewhat low scores for USMLE I and II) who's been out nearly 3 years and cannot find residency. Luckily, she's got a wealthy background and can intern.

some food for thought:
http://notadoctorjustamd.blogspot.c...howComment=1427172072515#c3535627127933567282

Match-rate statistics from schools--can they be falsified? I know law schools falsified their employment statistics for a number of years. Are DO and MD schools doing the same?

Yikes! What are contingency plans if there is no residency?

Thanks for the replies guys. I wanted to raise this point about student outcomes and regulatory capture: the people at the top will always tell you things are going to be alright--they have an interest in communicating the best messages. Law school deans have been doing this for the last 5 years. Could it be that the major medical organizations (AOA AAMC) are going to communicate a message of both shortage and positive residency opportunity because they have an interest in doing so.

I hope what I'm saying gets through. benadryl + communication= inarticulate. Again, this is just a point worth investigating. Perhaps, as usual, I'm just being paranoid.

Reactions: 1 user