Residencies that suck

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Through my extensive research I have found that the following residencies are really of poor quality:

UCSF
Christiana
Emory
U of Chicago
BIMDC
U of MD
UPenn
Jefferson
Pittsburgh

There are a number of others, but these stinkers really stood out. If anybody knows any programs similar to the above, please let me know so I can cross them off my list! :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Through my extensive research I have found that the following residencies are really of poor quality:

UCSF
Christiana
Emory
U of Chicago
BIMDC
U of MD
UPenn
Jefferson
Pittsburgh

There are a number of others, but these stinkers really stood out. If anybody knows any programs similar to the above, please let me know so I can cross them off my list! :mad:

Trying to decrease the competition?;)

Trying to decrease the competition?;)

I don't know what you're talking about. Hmmm, it seems UMich ain't that great, either. And Denver? Yuck. Any other such programs you can think of? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I've definitely heard that Pittsburgh is awful, aren't they on probabation? I know I'm not going to apply there.

I've definitely heard that Pittsburgh is awful, aren't they on probabation? I know I'm not going to apply there.

Yeah, but it's double-secret probation.

The first rule of residency club is that you never. talk. about. residency club!

I dont get it...what sucks about them? (if I know what you classify as "sucks" then I can tell you which other programs suck as well)

Maybe a new sticky in the making???

I dont get it...what sucks about them? (if I know what you classify as "sucks" then I can tell you which other programs suck as well)

As this is your second post, and you don't seem to have read the whole thread, I'll clue you in.

1. There's a lot of fun sarcasm on the EM board - much, much more than any other SDN forum.

2. It's reverse psychology. You can learn a lot about the world of EM, and there's names that come up as good (as the ones that aren't good go out of business). The reverse psychology is what you aren't getting.

As this is your second post, and you don't seem to have read the whole thread, I'll clue you in.

1. There's a lot of fun sarcasm on the EM board - much, much more than any other SDN forum.

2. It's reverse psychology. You can learn a lot about the world of EM, and there's names that come up as good (as the ones that aren't good go out of business). The reverse psychology is what you aren't getting.

I see.

Members don't see this ad :)

UCSF
Christiana
Emory
U of Chicago
BIMDC
U of MD
UPenn
Jefferson
Pittsburgh

Then add the Lunar Emergency Medicine Program. 'cause, ya know, it's in a vacuum.

:laugh:

For me the worst programs are the ones that:

1) Get a lot of patients with a high amount of acuity (too much work, if I wanted to work I wouldn't be going into EM)
2) Have a lot of critical care exposure (see #1 above)
3) Are in or near a big city (so stinky and loud!)
4) Are very academic, esp with basic research (who wants to hang out with a bunch of lab rats!)
5) Have a good deal of diversity in residents and faculty (as Panda Bear would say, "When I hear the word 'diversity', I reach for my revolver" :smuggrin:)

I am not applying to any such places.

For me the worst programs are the ones that:

1) Get a lot of patients with a high amount of acuity (too much work, if I wanted to work I wouldn't be going into EM)
2) Have a lot of critical care exposure (see #1 above)
4) Are very academic, esp with basic research (who wants to hang out with a bunch of lab rats!)
5) Have a good deal of diversity in residents and faculty (as Panda Bear would say, "When I hear the word 'diversity', I reach for my revolver" :smuggrin:)

I am not applying to any such places.

:smuggrin:

You really shouldn't really go into EM. We are all stupid, just deal with triage and don't know much. :D

You really shouldn't really go into EM. We are all stupid, just deal with triage and don't know much. :D

If you want to actually WORK for a living...don't do EM

Listen to her, she comes from one of the worst of 'em, too (St. Lukes)

Why stop with residency? I can tell you about some cities and hospitals that really suck to work at. They will suck even more in 3 years when I'm applying for a real job.

UCSF
Christiana
Emory
U of Chicago
BIMDC
U of MD
UPenn
Jefferson
Pittsburgh

Awww... man. Those were some of the programs I was going to apply to next year... I guess I'm just going to have to rethink my apps.:eek:

And just think... I really wanted to do EM because I like ordering every test possible...:rolleyes:

I really don't know what I would do with all the hours of rounding. I mean just think... we might actually SEE our patients! This is obviously not a good place to be!!

And just think... I really wanted to do EM because I like ordering every test possible...:rolleyes:

Every one but the one I wanted- you know that just came out in a Chinese Journal available only in certain provences written in ancient Greek? What? You didn't see that? And you call yourselves doctors!:laugh::laugh: And to think, it will completely change my management! I might order a drug from Yugoslavia or Bangkok based on this test!:smuggrin::laugh:

add SUNY Downstate to that list...way too much trauma for me.

Anybody whose anybody in EM knows not to apply there. I for one am not!

What about a BNP? Doesn't everyone need that?

EM is not going to be residency anymore. Its been decided that family practice and IM docs can do it, so please dont apply if you ever want to get a job. KUB has got to be the most useless test ever!!

Those residencies all suck...but if you are looking to match into EM, I heard the In-N-Out residency is fantastic. Don't even bother trying to use the match system, or applying to any other EM programs. Just go to the nearest In-N-Out and ask for a job "flipping burgers" right around the time your deadline passes for applying anywhere else. Don't worry, that is just secret code for getting a super-prestigious 3 year program where you're guaranteed to be chief resident from day one.

I thought "EM" was taken out of American vocabulary. Not used anymore because there are no more jobs in EM.

I thought "EM" was taken out of American vocabulary. Not used anymore because there are no more jobs in EM.

That's very true. People aren't dying anymore, or needing drug fixes, or long-term care for their back pain, or coming in to get checked out after their fender benders. I heard attendings are sitting around twiddling their thumbs because they're so bored at work.

That's very true. People aren't dying anymore, or needing drug fixes, or long-term care for their back pain, or coming in to get checked out after their fender benders. I heard attendings are sitting around twiddling their thumbs because they're so bored at work.

It's so bad, they're talking about turning "EM" back into "ER."

Turns out triage nurses can do their job, afterall :smuggrin:

Actually that really is a negative in my book, unless it's a city where I can drive 20 minutes and be out of town, preferrably out of the suburbs too.

I fell off my ladder while hanging my curtains in the nude and fell on my coffee cup which is now lodged up my butt and it just seems a little too personal to go to my regular doctor could you please then tell me where I could go to fix this? Oh yeah and can you give me some of that medicine that stuff Dildaud or Dildodid or whatever?

My top choice would be somewhere where everyone was always serious, never cracked jokes, and were convinced that they were better than everyone else in the hospital... If that isn't what you are looking for, than you shouldn't go to the programs that I interviewed at, because I found this to be quite common at all spots.

My top choice would be somewhere where everyone was always serious, never cracked jokes, and were convinced that they were better than everyone else in the hospital... If that isn't what you are looking for, than you shouldn't go to the programs that I interviewed at, because I found this to be quite common at all spots.

it's a good thing you resurrected this thread, because I have detected alot of other horrible programs since I last posted:

UCLA-Harbor (the place is really a dump), BGH (buncha snobs up there, really), NY-Presby (horrific hours). I know I'm not ranking any of these programs :smuggrin:

it's a good thing you resurrected this thread, because I have detected alot of other horrible programs since I last posted:

UCLA-Harbor (the place is really a dump), BGH (buncha snobs up there, really), NY-Presby (horrific hours). I know I'm not ranking any of these programs :smuggrin:
I've heard good things about UCLA-Harbor's training program. Not sure of their physical plant, but the program has a good reputation from what I've heard. (I never applied there.)

Is BGH Buffalo General, as in SUNY Buffalo? I wouldn't imagine them being snobs!

actually nyp does have pretty hard hours (jokes aside)... 20 12s a month is tough!

So true.

Actually that really is a negative in my book, unless it's a city where I can drive 20 minutes and be out of town, preferrably out of the suburbs too.

I agree; it is a negative.

I fell off my ladder while hanging my curtains in the nude and fell on my coffee cup which is now lodged up my butt and it just seems a little too personal to go to my regular doctor could you please then tell me where I could go to fix this? Oh yeah and can you give me some of that medicine that stuff Dildaud or Dildodid or whatever?

This is the kind of patient that makes it all worthwhile;)

I feel the need to warn you all about Cincinnati.

This place was the first EM residency, but maybe they're just resting on their reputation?

And you have to fly there . . . on helicopters . . . crazy!

Those things have like a million moving parts.

And you don't even get hazard pay!

They'll even try to get you to moonlight on them.

And the town . . . it's like half in Ohio and half in Kentucky

What kind of town is in two different states? Could they just not decide?

Do you want to be driving through town and not know what state you're in?

I didn't think so. Well, you've had fair warning.

I've also heard Denver is totally malignant. It's like a big old colon cancer wrapping itself around the city. Scary!

Wallowa, are you trying to get people to rank them lower so you can match there? :laugh: Cinci and Denver are both very highly regarded residencies!

:laugh: Southern . . . man, you're funny. You got to back to the beginning and read this thread. Make sure you turn up your e-sarcasm receptors!:laugh:

When you said that about Harbor I really thought you were serious, given the physical plant there. I'm sure the residency is awesome though!