Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res1212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My residency program has been badly maligned. If you search Shenandoah Valley Family Practice Residency Program, it pops up under a list of malignant residency programs - this is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!! My attendings are like my parents - they provide tremendous support, encouragement, and phenomenal teaching! They work their butts off so that I can learn to be a great doctor! I have been a resident with them for almost the past 3 years, and I could not imagine a more supportive and quality-oriented learning environment!

In SVFPRP's case, our placement on this list seems to stem from a resident (who resigned after her intern year rather than complete the remediation program that was set up for her) who sued the program several years ago. Per the (public) record, she claimed that she was doing very well, when she was actually deficient in at least 5 areas (and the attendings had continuously bent over backwards to try to help her). Her case was entirely dismissed by US District Court, and then the dismissal was upheld by the US Court of Appeals after review (Case: Appeal No. 10-2425, June 2012, US Court of Appeals). Again, this is ALL public record.

This malignant residency list seems to be a list that some disgruntled resident of some program came up with, and it has published online as fact without any supporting evidence at all (kind of like spreading rumors about someone in high school). This is destructive and undeserved, aside from being plain old-fashioned bullying. My attendings are EXCEPTIONAL and they don't deserve this!

Members don't see this ad.

Shenandoah Valley Family Practice Residency Program is a truly fantastic program. I have been incredibly happy here and have received the kind of education and preparation that I could only have hoped for as a medical student. There are so many opportunities in Family Medicine, and as a resident about to go out into the world alone I feel prepared and confident that I can do whatever I want and be prepared for anything - that's ALL thanks to the quality of my training.

Members don't see this ad :)
that clears everything up!

I wasn't aware there was an official Malignant Residency list ...

More like a malignant resident list.

Much less a malignant Family Medicine residency list

My residency program has been badly maligned. If you search Shenandoah Valley Family Practice Residency Program, it pops up under a list of malignant residency programs - this is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!! My attendings are like my parents - they provide tremendous support, encouragement, and phenomenal teaching! They work their butts off so that I can learn to be a great doctor! I have been a resident with them for almost the past 3 years, and I could not imagine a more supportive and quality-oriented learning environment!

In SVFPRP's case, our placement on this list seems to stem from a resident (who resigned after her intern year rather than complete the remediation program that was set up for her) who sued the program several years ago. Per the (public) record, she claimed that she was doing very well, when she was actually deficient in at least 5 areas (and the attendings had continuously bent over backwards to try to help her). Her case was entirely dismissed by US District Court, and then the dismissal was upheld by the US Court of Appeals after review (Case: Appeal No. 10-2425, June 2012, US Court of Appeals). Again, this is ALL public record.

This malignant residency list seems to be a list that some disgruntled resident of some program came up with, and it has published online as fact without any supporting evidence at all (kind of like spreading rumors about someone in high school). This is destructive and undeserved, aside from being plain old-fashioned bullying. My attendings are EXCEPTIONAL and they don't deserve this!
Dr. Dennehy or Dr. Mattson, is that you?