Residency after USN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear from recent USN graduates who have been able to get into a residency program. I have recently been accepted and have some concerns regarding getting a residency after due to lack of a GPA. Can anyone with experience in this matter please shed some light on the topic. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to hear from recent USN graduates who have been able to get into a residency program. I have recently been accepted and have some concerns regarding getting a residency after due to lack of a GPA. Can anyone with experience in this matter please shed some light on the topic. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you are planning on doing a residency, and you have been accepted to other pharm schools, seriously reconsider accepting USN. It is an uphill battle trying to get a residency if you attend here. 1) No GPA (residency programs assume your "pass" is a 75%. Just the fact that you go here eliminates you from some programs) 2) They are changing the name of the school from USN to Roseman University College of Health Sciences = NOT COOL. I guess they didnt have the room for technical college at the end. 3) the education is pretty good, but being a 3 year school, it is hard to compete with 4 year schools that have an extra year to beef up their CV. Overall, the education is decent, but if i could do it over again, (and 99% planning on applying for residency) i would probably not have come here. In the end, USN (and i attend currently) is just another school with its sole intention of pumping retail pharmacist out into an already saturated market. Residencies are getting really competitive and i would hate for you to be stuck with an education that leaves only the retail door open for you.

Thanks so much for your quick response! I know that its probably going to be an uphill battle but I guess I really want to get in touch with someone who has actually gotten into or already completed a residency after graduating from USN to find out just how tough it actually is.

This may sound weird, but via Googling (to get an idea of how many graduates from my school get into ASHP-accredited PGY1 programs in MA) I am aware of a USN grad who is currently a PGY1 at Massachusetts General Hospital.

It really is more about how you build yourself up than merely where you go (at least for programs that outright don't consider USN grads for whatever reason) but obviously some places are more nurturing than others (boilerplate FTW).