Residency after working as a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done this? I already know some of the pros and cons associated with it, but I just wanted to know if it's rare or more common than I thought.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone here done this? I already know some of the pros and cons associated with it, but I just wanted to know if it's rare or more common than I thought.

Last edited:
A guy I worked with, went back to residency after about 2 or 3 yrs of being a pharmacist at the same hospital but what I noticed is that he was too full of himself and in my opinion the new grads, fellow residents not only had better attitude but did a better job at their presentations and precepting of pharmacy students than he did. He always felt that he had to out shine because he was already a pharmacist, I think he tried too hard!

I can understand why some people would feel that they had the need to do so. Maybe he thought they would see him as a little out of date on certain topics he didn't see at work.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the places I interviewed the current resident graduated in 2009. She said after a few years she realized that in order to do what she really wanted, she knew she had to get a residency under her belt. She said she was happy to have gone back and did it.

I fall into this category. I graduated in 2010, and I'm looking for a career change. It seems cumbersome, so far...