Residency application LoR delay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanlxx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying to the MATCH. However, 2 of my LoR were uploaded on Monday.

If I apply now (with 1 LoR) and then upload those letters that are in process, am I increasing my risk of being rejected by the programs that require 3 letters? Should I wait until I have those LoR released?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply now. Your app will just be marked as incomplete. Some programs may not review you until your app is complete, but you may as well try.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply now. Your app will just be marked as incomplete. Some programs may not review you until your app is complete, but you may as well try.

But is possible that other programs may reject my app, right?

But is possible that other programs may reject my app, right?
This question has been asked and answered by aPD many times as he did above. What you describe is a mostly irrational worry that many applicants have about not being "complete" when they apply. But the longer you wait at this point, the further down in the stack you're going to be reviewed for sure. You may not get reviewed any faster if your app isn't complete, but at least then there's a chance a program might take a look at you.

This question has been asked and answered by aPD many times as he did above. What you describe is a mostly irrational worry that many applicants have about not being "complete" when they apply.

I wasn't "complete" with 3 LORs when I applied on 15 September. Finally receive a 4th year LOR and assigned it, so now I'm "complete" for many programs.
Will these programs be notified of meeting the 3 LOR requirement now (if I've already been reviewed), or should I email/call the program coordinators at a couple of my top choices I haven't heard from yet?

I wasn't "complete" with 3 LORs when I applied on 15 September. Finally receive a 4th year LOR and assigned it, so now I'm "complete" for many programs.
Will these programs be notified of meeting the 3 LOR requirement now (if I've already been reviewed), or should I email/call the program coordinators at a couple of my top choices I haven't heard from yet?
Let's address this as well. Although we all (myself included) talk about applications being "complete", there's actually no such thing. Programs can set any combination of filters on discrete data that they want to. And then they can reset them again, and again, and again, and again. And you'll never know which programs set which filters when.

If your app doesn't fulfill whatever set of criteria the program chooses to filter on, it's not getting ignored, it effectively does not exist to that program. Clearly, those filters, whatever they are, are important to that program. Once your app does fulfill the filtered criteria (assuming it does), then your app is in that program's queue and they can choose to review it further, or not. Invite you for an interview, or not. Etc. Again, you'll have no idea why your app is/not reviewed or you are/not invited so there's no point in trying to read the tea leaves on this.

So if a program needed 3 LORs before your app was reviewed, it is now available for them to review. If it not, they've probably already reviewed it.

And FFS folks, it's just the end of the first week of the app process being open. Relax. If it gets to mid-October and you still haven't heard anything, go ahead and reach out. But relax for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds great, thank ya @gutonc. I'm pretty relaxed, just have had 3 invites so far where 0:18, 3:28, and 2:8 are the schedule:waitlist spots - so just curious on an answer in general.
But really, thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.