residency at Mount Sinai NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life goes on

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
Can anyone shed light on neurology residency program at Mt Sinai NY, with respect to factors like:
-work load.....(very heavy or very heavy in PGY2 and then time available for studies during PGY3 and 4)
-Are the residents happy there?
-compensation (not mentioned on the website or on frieda)
- vacation-( website says 20 days but is it 20 work days or does it include weekends? Some other programs for instance mention as 15 workdays but give a total of 3 weeks.)
any other comments on work atmosphere

I know the neurology dept is ranked 21st on US news but need an insight above factors.
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Is this such an untouchable topic? Nobody is willing to give any insight. People who know anthing can at least PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each hospital pays its Residents and Fellows the same amount based on PGY status. You can look for other Depts at Sinai and use their salaries to determine what the Neuro Residents are paid.

It's likely 20 work days of vacation. One would imagine that they have a very busy service. Rumor has it that ancillary staff in NYC can be much less helpful than in most other cities. You might be doing your own blood draws, etc. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Re: Mount Sinai
- workload is very heavy throughout the residency (other than when on electives). PGY2 is especially grueling (q3 short call) but senior residents are still very busy supervising stroke and other services.
- the residents like each other a good deal but tend not to like the department chairman and some other dept leadership
- pay used to be abysmal but has pretty much caught up to other NYC area hospitals due to some cost of living increases in the past few years
- it's 4 work-weeks of vacation
- I echo the point re: sinai nursing & support services - not good at all compared to other hospitals
- the USN&WR rankings don't mean anything residency wise as they're driven by things like research funding. Among NYC area residencies Sinai is probably behind Columbia, Cornell, Einstein, NYU in terms of prestige while ahead of the other local programs. Quality of life wise it's back of the pack.

Are ancillary services at Sinai any worse than those at other NYC hospitals? I've just heard that they're pretty bad anywhere in the city.

Thank you islander. I heard PGY2 in neurology will be gruelling in any residency becoz of the very few no. of residents in each year.

neurologist, you are regular on this forum. Do u have any comments on neurology residency at Mt Sinai?

- the residents like each other a good deal but tend not to like the department chairman and some other dept leadership

The Chairman, when I interviewed in 2005, was remarkable in that he wanted to know how badly I wanted to go to his program, because I didn't look like a great candidate to him. So why invite me? I blew like $500 on that interview! Besides, I had no such treatment when I interviewed at Columbia earlier that season -- and they should be the snobby program! What a jerk. No reflection on the residents, who seemed like a nice bunch.

In NYC I thought the PD and Chiarman of NYU were much nicer.