Residency Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star2285

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am finishing my 4th year at a well known DO school in NY and I was wondering about everyone's residency experiences this year. I want to apply for anesthesia- my Comlex Step I is around a 640 but my USMLE step one is only a 225. I am going to apply broadly to many programs, but I am worried. Everyone told me to take the USMLE, but now I am worried that my score is going to bring me down because my Comlex is much better. I also have research, great letters from anesthesiologists, and good extra curricular activities along with an MPH from an ivy league school. Can anyone offer me any advice or share their experiences? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be okay. 225 is above most of the cutoffs. Also having NY ties will help you, since NY has quite a few DO friendly Anesthesia programs. I seen DO's with that score not have an issue matching. Just do a couple of aways at place you may want to do residency in (preferably in a place that probably would not have granted you an interviews if you didnt rotate there).

Thank you so much for your reply. You have made me feel a lot better. Everyone kept telling me that as a DO I really need in the 240's for anesthesia. I am also going to try to kill myself and get a high score on both Step 2s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply. You have made me feel a lot better. Everyone kept telling me that as a DO I really need in the 240's for anesthesia. I am also going to try to kill myself and get a high score on both Step 2s.
240's?!?! No way would you need a score that high.

Well I am a DO and I applied this past cycle. I had a 232, no step 2 and had almost 20 interviews. But I had no research, No masters, my transcripts did not show that I did an Anesthesia elective (because I did it so late) and no Anesthesia recommendations. I personally believe a lot of people make things seem harder then they really are. Anesthesia is not that difficult for a person to match, since they are so many spots available. Many people over blow its competitiveness. Of course some people will have 240's but the majority dont. I personally believe you will be fine, just apply broadly. I applied to 90 programs. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Thank you so much.....hearing that makes me feel so much better after being so scared listening to all of these people say their board scores were so high. Do you think the fact that you had 230 and I only have 225 will make a huge difference? Do you know anyone who had in the 220's that matched as a DO? I am so confused because everyone told me to take the usmle but I feel like I kind of shot myself in the foot, and if I had applied with a 640 comlex alone, I may have a better chance of matching? Then others tell me even if you scored average as a DO they want to see you take the usmle? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Thank you so much.....hearing that makes me feel so much better after being so scared listening to all of these people say their board scores were so high. Do you think the fact that you had 230 and I only have 225 will make a huge difference? Do you know anyone who had in the 220's that matched as a DO? I am so confused because everyone told me to take the usmle but I feel like I kind of shot myself in the foot, and if I had applied with a 640 comlex alone, I may have a better chance of matching? Then others tell me even if you scored average as a DO they want to see you take the usmle? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Honestly you will be fine. I know people who match 220's (I think he had a either a 221 or 222). I actually know a person who matched with a COMLEX<500 and no USMLE. Your application is better than mine since you have anesthesia recomendations, a master's, research etc. Plus being in the north east you have DO friendly programs like St. Lukes, NYMC, Cleveland Clinic, Uconn, Downstate, Maimonides, Baystate, UMDNJ-Camden, SUNY-Buffalo. I bet you will get interviews from all of those programs I just listed above. Talking to PD's a 220 is the magic number you want to be above.

If I were you, I would be more worried about getting into the best program possible instead of worrying to just get in. For that I would take step 2 (but only if you are sure your score would be better), Perhaps take your test at a date that your score will come back a couple days past sept 1. Because you have the option of with holding your step 2 score then.

Last edited:
which of the programs are DO friendly for the midwest, especially Illinois? I have heard Loyola is pretty DO friendly. I have a 225 on USMLE as well but only a 529 on COMLEX. I'm only a 3rd year so I won't be able to do any elective till 4th year and no research either.

Its not as bad as you imagine it

jus apply

the stigma dies every single day as we work hard! :thumbup: