Residency Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isternmdtob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In hearing about my interviews from medicine residencies, what does everyone know about chances for GI in the following scenarios?:

Small okay-tier program with own fellowship (program of about 14 that takes 2 fellows a year)

vs

Larger good name academic program with 30+ residents and 5 spots a year)

Of course I want good training, but which is a better choice for future GI fellowship if I like both programs equally?

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on being a good internist first. The GI fellowship will come. That being said, it always looks better coming from a big university program than from a small community program. Good luck.

BlackNDecker's "Principia de residencia"

Rule 1: Academic residency > community residency (strictly re: chasing a competitive fellowship)

Rule 2: Productive resident > unproductive resident

That pretty much sums it up. Good luck in residency. Do your best and forget the rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
(I asked this question risking sounding ******ed: Productive residents get work on time, yeah, that I know. but what i meant: are there extra efforts that can be pulled by a resident? Presentations, research, participation in activities
etc

(I asked this question risking sounding ******ed: Productive residents get work on time, yeah, that I know. but what i meant: are there extra efforts that can be pulled by a resident? Presentations, research, participation in activities
etc

A couple posters (2+) at your local ACP chapter, a poster at a national meeting in your field of interest, at least 1 publication preferably 2 (1 case report, 1 retrospective chart review) and a couple research projects "in progress" durIng interview season (this will give you something to talk about on interviews) will all but guarantee you a fellowship spot somewhere...barring any flags on your application.

I would say this^ is the bare minimum to feel confident. This is all just my opinion obviously there have been no RCTs to confirm this.

A couple posters (2+) at your local ACP chapter, a poster at a national meeting in your field of interest, at least 1 publication preferably 2 (1 case report, 1 retrospective chart review) and a couple research projects "in progress" durIng interview season (this will give you something to talk about on interviews) will all but guarantee you a fellowship spot somewhere...barring any flags on your application.

I would say this^ is the bare minimum to feel confident. This is all just my opinion obviously there have been no RCTs to confirm this.

Thank you very much

Per usual advice...your best chance at fellowship is usually your home program (if they take internals). With that said, if you go small community program with an internal spot, you may not get too many external interviews and run a high risk of not matching unless you match internal.

Regardless, go to a residency program where you CAN be productive. Best way to find out is express interest-- ask (in a respectful way) the PD and residents if people are ACTUALLY doing stuff in GI. Ask how receptive the GI department is to residents doing research, rotating through the department, etc. Basically, you want to know if the GI attendings are going to provide you with solid mentorship. To me, productivitiy is a two way street-- you are willing to work hard, but you need GI attendings who can offer projects and help you produce finished work. Also look at their last few match lists, make sure residents are matching in GI, and a plus is matching at multiple different places.

In addition to the "productivity" definition above, dont forget about book chapters and review articles if you have the chance to do them.

I agree with the "in progress" research. People were more interested in talking to me about my current research than my past projects. Remember the saying "what have you done for me lately."

And be nice, to everyone. Bad reputations develop quickly.

I agree with the "in progress" research. People were more interested in talking to me about my current research than my past projects. Remember the saying "what have you done for me lately."

Was your research during residency time at the bench or was it clinical research projects? is there any inherent superiority to either of them as far as GI fellowships are concerned?

Thanks

Was your research during residency time at the bench or was it clinical research projects? is there any inherent superiority to either of them as far as GI fellowships are concerned?

Thanks

Clinical.

Not sure if one is superior, but do what you are interested in. Nothing worse than bench work if you hate it.

Agree. I enjoy clinical research more than bench one. thanks for the advice.