Residency GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring.dds

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what GPA is a cutoff to get into residencies? Is there one, or is it just based on class rank?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me what GPA is a cutoff to get into residencies? Is there one, or is it just based on class rank?
GPA is entirely relative from school to school, and even from class to class at the same school. Class rank is a more important factor. It also depends on what specialty you’re applying to and how competitive the specific programs are. You’re asking a very broad question, so broadly speaking being in the top 20-25% of your class is a good place to be.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
Rank more important. As Big Hoss pointed out it can also vary from class to class

In my class a 3.8 is roughly #25 and below lol
But 2 years ago a 3.7 was top 10

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends. Class rank is usually more important. GPA is also important too. Some programs see a high GPA and don’t care what your rank is. At my ortho program, everyone that interviews is 3.9+

GPA is entirely relative from school to school, and even from class to class at the same school. Class rank is a more important factor. It also depends on what specialty you’re applying to and how competitive the specific programs are. You’re asking a very broad question, so broadly speaking being in the top 20-25% of your class is a good place to be.

Big Hoss
I just found out I am at 43% with a 3.5 GPA. This is only my first semester.. do you have any tips for me if I do want to specialize out of school. I realize top 43% probably isn't good enough

I just saw the list of open slots in residency programs following "The Match". I am guessing, that if one is flexible about WHERE you are willing to go for your residency GPA becomes less important.

Well, you’ve got a fair amount of time to move up in class rank, but you’ll need to step it up. Use the next year or so to narrow down your interests and start tailoring a competitive application.

Big Hoss
Ok, thanks. I will work hard this semester.

I just saw the list of open slots in residency programs following "The Match". I am guessing, that if one is flexible about WHERE you are willing to go for your residency GPA becomes less important.
Could you elaborate a bit?

What about if the program is P/F? How does this impact matching for residency programs?

For GPA class rank is an important factor and residency programs have their own specific selection criteria and the weight given to each factor may vary. It is important to research the specific requirements of each residency program you are interested in applying to and aim to meet or exceed their standards.