residency interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to several family medicine residencies and have received a fair amount of interviews. When I applied to residencies in September, I wasn't sure what match I was going to do. Now I'm pretty sure I want to do ACGME. So just last week I applied to more ACGME residencies, but obviously I'm really late in the game now.

There is one residency that I am most serious about and I'm kicking myself because I didn't apply sooner. I'm sure their interview spots are all full, but I'm just wondering if I should personally write them an email letting them know that I'm seriously interested in their program and maybe list a few reasons why. And ask them if they would consider me?! Would this help my chances of getting an interview, or should I just leave it alone?

Members don't see this ad.

It certainly can't hurt! It really depends on the program, but I can't imagine them being offended if you sent just one email. If you were bombarding them with phone calls and email that would be a different story.

I did that to a few programs. Honestly, it did not make any difference. But, I heard from others that SOMETIMES they can offer you an interview spot. By this time, there are many applicants who have also canceled some interview slots because they received invites to programs they liked more. So, the worst thing that can happen is your get refused the interview, which leaves you int he same spot as you are now, right?

As an aside -- you may want to strongly consider if you want to do an ACGME residency vs. an osteopathic residency......There is a difference, at least in my experience. I've got colleagues from school in a DO residency across town and the mindset is very different from the place I'm at (ACGME - opposed).

If you're comfortable around DO's and DO is all you know, pause and think.