Residency interview impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendrick lamar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to about 9-10 programs and have only heard back from one, which was not my primary choice, but applied because it was a new program close to my house and seemed flexible. However, going to the interview I got a weird vibe from the staff.It's a very, very small
hospital, so it seems like you're stuck with a small crowd for the whole time. It is also not a teaching hospital, which until doing my internal medicine rotation, I didn't realize how this would be a huge con for me. Since they are new, they are extremely ambitious and seem more rigid than what I originally thought based on speaking to them at midyear. I'm not sure how I feel about this program, I'm giving myself time to think but I may be just about the only program I have an invite from. I'm just wondering what to make from initial impressions of an interview

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to be there then you shouldn't rank them. You need to figure out how much you really want to do a residency. If you want to do one at any cost and they're your only option, then rank them. You could always not rank anyone and try your luck in the scramble if you can't see yourself at the program for a year...

Don't bank on the scramble, as it's very hard to get a scramble spot nowadays. As the poster above said, ask yourself how much you'd like to do a residency. If you'd rather be a resident at that hospital than not be a resident at all, I would suggest ranking the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above. The scramble is a crap shoot for getting a program. If you only got 1/10 interviews, you will likely not get a scramble interview either as programs have opportunities to interview fewer scramble candidates (and have stricter requirements) than for the match.
I would also see this a choice between being a resident at this program or not one at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with all the advice above...are you okay with the possibility of not being a resident? Do you have a back up plan? Sfcramble positions are very competetive.

Reactions: 1 user
the scramble?

The scramble is like 1000 candidates gunning for the same 80 remaining spots.

good luck