residency match with spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Foot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it at all feasible for a DPM and a DO spouse to match for residencies in the same city? Is there any way to maximize chances of matching in the same city? Are there any programs that cater to couples? We attend the same school now and would really like to not have to live in different cities for at least 3 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure it's feasible. You'll probably need to be flexible in where you go. Your best bet is picking a big city with several residencies. There are a bunch of residencies (both pod and DO) here around Detroit, for example. It seems like Michigan is very DO friendly, as well as podiatry friendly in general. I'm sure there are other cities as well, but Detroit is the one that I know the best. I don't know of any podiatry residency that caters to couples.

Is it at all feasible for a DPM and a DO spouse to match for residencies in the same city? Is there any way to maximize chances of matching in the same city? Are there any programs that cater to couples? We attend the same school now and would really like to not have to live in different cities for at least 3 years.
Get good grades and work hard, and you will both have options. I'd echo that the Detroit metro is pretty friendly since there's a lot of osteopath hospitals and a few real good DPM residencies also.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife and I did just that. She also had far more residencies from which to choose than I did, and her potential residency directors were far more sympathetic to trying to match us in the same place whereas a lot of mine were not people who I would want to approach with personal matters. Basically anywhere I might have matched, she had an option. This was fifteen years ago though, so things may have changed.

My wife and I did just that. She also had far more residencies from which to choose than I did, and her potential residency directors were far more sympathetic to trying to match us in the same place whereas a lot of mine were not people who I would want to approach with personal matters. Basically anywhere I might have matched, she had an option. This was fifteen years ago though, so things may have changed.

Good to hear that it is possible! Was she able to choose a program in the city that you matched in based on high academics or did you both only focus on a particular city to avoid matching in separate places on the luck of the draw? I guess I am confused on the process. I thought that you match based on your ranking of programs and programs ranking of you. In that way, you would have no control over which program that you end up at. Even if both of us rank our number one choices in the same city and only focus on a couple cities, what is keeping us from randomly matching at the opposite of the 2 cities?

Good to hear that it is possible! Was she able to choose a program in the city that you matched in based on high academics or did you both only focus on a particular city to avoid matching in separate places on the luck of the draw? I guess I am confused on the process. I thought that you match based on your ranking of programs and programs ranking of you. In that way, you would have no control over which program that you end up at. Even if both of us rank our number one choices in the same city and only focus on a couple cities, what is keeping us from randomly matching at the opposite of the 2 cities?

Edit: It's been so long ago that the process seems like ancient history to me, so I apologize for possibly leading you astray here. I forgot that my wife had an internship year during which she and I lived apart. During that year she was able to apply for residencies closer to where I lived. After Internship concluded she was able to move to where I lived to do her residency. She had good grades. Not top of the class, but good enough. Top third if I recall correctly? I think her good interpersonal skills plus the sound clinical judgment she developed during that internship year gave her an advantage when applying to residency.

Last edited: