residency placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

POWP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...can any current D.O. students comment on their satisfaction with their opportunities for residency matching?

Or any graduated DO's who are in residency that had any regret about pursuing the osteopathic route for residency. Or has it not made a difference, or are you generally pleased?

Any comments are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

"Placement" implies that your school is responsible for getting you into a training program. I prefer to think of it as a residency competition, where I will earn my spot somewhere, with a combination of intelligence, hard work, charm, and rugged good looks.

I believe that GA-PCOM has given me everything I need to place myself into a very good residency program, and I like to think that I am taking advantage of my opportunities.

"Placement" implies that your school is responsible for getting you into a training program. I prefer to think of it as a residency competition, where I will earn my spot somewhere, with a combination of intelligence, hard work, charm, and rugged good looks.

I believe that GA-PCOM has given me everything I need to place myself into a very good residency program, and I like to think that I am taking advantage of my opportunities.

That's how I got into medical school... well, it was mostly the good looks! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely satisfied. You will find that your board scores, audition rotations, and LORs are what can get you in to the residency of your choice. You will also see that residency programs look at the medical school itself more so than the degree it grants... they are aware of which DO schools put out awesome residents, and have a preference for those over a lesser known MD school.

Completely satisfied. You will find that your board scores, audition rotations, and LORs are what can get you in to the residency of your choice. You will also see that residency programs look at the medical school itself more so than the degree it grants... they are aware of which DO schools put out awesome residents, and have a preference for those over a lesser known MD school.

Which schools do you feel put out "awesome residents?" I'm considering the DO approach and they all look the same to me from the surface. Not much in the line of research, or at least research dollars and roughly equivalent admission stats. Other than that I've just looked at location. Any advice you might have on good residency placers would be appreciated.

Which DO schools exclusively produce "awesome residents"? I wasn't aware that any osteopathic school had a monopoly on that. :laugh:

I think your post is excessively optimistic. Most DOs match to residency, but to state that you have parity with equally-qualified students from "lesser-known MD schools" is inaccurate.

Which DO schools exclusively produce "awesome residents"? I wasn't aware that any osteopathic school had a monopoly on that. :laugh:

I think your post is excessively optimistic. Most DOs match to residency, but to state that you have parity with equally-qualified students from "lesser-known MD schools" is inaccurate.

So are you saying that DO's are not equivalent in residency placement? Or are you saying the parity of DO's is equivalent with those of MD's in general and not just "lesser-known MD schools?"

So are you saying that DO's are not equivalent in residency placement? Or are you saying the parity of DO's is equivalent with those of MD's in general and not just "lesser-known MD schools?"

Most DOs successfully attain a residency (through or outside the Match).
Whether most DOs attain choice residencies is another matter entirely.

I disagree with the assertion that an osteopathic medical student could be considered equivalent or superior to an American MD student from a "lesser known MD school", especially in terms of the Match and ACGME residency placement. My observation has actually been the opposite.

Most DOs successfully attain a residency (through or outside the Match).
Whether most DOs attain choice residencies is another matter entirely.

I disagree with the assertion that an osteopathic medical student could be considered equivalent or superior to an American MD student from a "lesser known MD school", especially in terms of the Match and ACGME residency placement. My observation has actually been the opposite.

Good to know. Thanks.

Or any graduated DO's who are in residency that had any regret about pursuing the osteopathic route for residency. Or has it not made a difference, or are you generally pleased?

Any comments are welcome.

I am pleased with my ACGME post-graduate training. Could I have done better at an American MD program? Maybe, but my osteopathic training did allow me to pursue the specialty I wanted, so overall I am satisfied, as I imagine most osteopathic graduates are.

What percentage of D.O.'s match into non-FP residencies?

And do hospitals hire DO's without MD supervision? ... I'm worried about PA/NP competition with Obamacare in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant as an intern or something, I am aware that DO's can practice on their own, that's granted. Just wanted to know if they go through the same intern process as NP/PA

My only question was if there was any difference between MD and DO training inside hospitals after Residency. It was not " are DO's doctors too?" I'm pre-DO, not MD, no need to act hostile or like condescending pricks. I just asked a simple question. This is a forum, specifically a forum to ask questions and help others, jesus christ.

Last edited:
My only question was if there was any difference between MD and DO training inside hospitals. It was not " are DO's doctors too?" I'm pre-DO, not MD, no need to act hostile or like condescending pricks. I just asked a simple question. This is a forum, specifically a forum to ask questions and help others, jesus christ.

well now ya know fruitloop

You went from double-posting to getting all quiet on me there "bomb." I think you're a dud, you came right back in and left :laugh:.

Yeah... you know... maybe I do ask stupid questions on internet forums, but you will have more time to reminisce about your B's and C's......... so who's the "dumbdumb?"

That dastardly Obama!
Soon I won't be able to practice without MD supervision!
:laugh:

My older sibling, who is an MD, was under the supervision of another MD for the first year out of Residency. That's the only reason I asked. I'm going DO, so I wanted to know if things were different. I guess it just depends on each hospitals policy, relax man.

You went from double-posting to getting all quiet on me there "bomb." I think you're a dud, you came right back in and left :laugh:.

Yeah... you know... maybe I do ask stupid questions on internet forums, but you will have more time to reminisce about your B's and C's......... so who's the "dumbdumb?"

My older sibling, who is an MD, was under the supervision of another MD for the first year out of Residency. That's the only reason I asked. I'm going DO, so I wanted to know if things were different. I guess it just depends on each hospitals policy, relax man.

You're calling ME dumb when YOU don't know even the most basic elements of the career YOU intend on pursuing? Powerful.

Your older sibling was probably under supervision because he/she is also stupid. I'm guessing it runs in the family.

Your older sibling had an unrestricted license at that time. For whatever reason he had another physician supervising him, it's not commonplace practice.

You're calling ME dumb when YOU don't know even the most basic elements of the career YOU intend on pursuing? Powerful.

Your older sibling was probably under supervision because he/she is also stupid. I'm guessing it runs in the family.

Who was talking about Residency friend? I was talking about the workforce.

So lemme get this straight :laugh:... you went from insulting the intelligence of someone with better Undergrad stats than you, to insulting the intelligence a full-fledged Attending M.D. :laugh: Who's intelligence are you gonna insult next? Your Academic Dean? .......****. :laugh:

Your older sibling had an unrestricted license at that time. For whatever reason he had another physician supervising him, it's not commonplace practice.

It could've possibly been due a move between states or something. Thanks for not responding cynically though, I appreciate it. :thumbup:

Who was talking about Residency friend? I was talking about the workforce.

So lemme get this straight :laugh:... you went from insulting the intelligence of someone with better Undergrad stats than you, to insulting the intelligence a full-fledged Attending M.D. :laugh: Who's intelligence are you gonna insult next? Your Academic Dean? .......****. :laugh:

Oh thiiiiis is good. Now you know my undergrad stats? Let's get this straight:

a) you know my undergrad stats, yet I've never revealed them

b) you don't know that DOs do residencies in an identical fashion to MDs?

I think your "brother" is your hand. Now I await the DO-bashing that you had planned from the very beginning, tool...

Oh thiiiiis is good. Now you know my undergrad stats? Let's get this straight:

a) you know my undergrad stats, yet I've never revealed them

b) you don't know that DOs do residencies in an identical fashion to MDs?

I think your "brother" is your hand. Now I await the DO-bashing that you had planned from the very beginning, tool...

Yes... my master-plan is to bash DO's *evil voice*muhahahaha*/evil voice*, you figured it out!

a) Am I wrong? ...I'll wait.................. oh, ok :laugh:

b) I was never confused about Residency.

I inquired about the match-rate for non Family-Practice residencies for DO's. So obviously, *******, I know that there are DO's in dermatology, anesthesiology, neurology and so forth. You posted a link with some cool pictures and names of MD's and DO's together, as if we weren't already beyond that point. There there "bomb"... you can play with the red blocks tomorrow, I promise.

Yes... my master-plan is to bash DO's *evil voice*muhahahaha*/evil voice*, you figured it out!

a) Am I wrong? ...I'll wait.................. oh, ok :laugh:

b) I was never confused about Residency.

I inquired about the match-rate for non Family-Practice residencies for DO's. So obviously, *******, I know that there are DO's in dermatology, anesthesiology, neurology and so forth. You posted a link with some cool pictures and names of MD's and DO's together, as if we weren't already beyond that point. There there "bomb"... you can play with the red blocks tomorrow, I promise.
There are schools that have placement in non-PC residencies as high as ~60+% and I'd assume much lower. PCOM is one of the higher placement schools, for example. However, it depends on the class and its interests.

For the newly-minted attending you were talking about... He was probably under another MD's wing because he was new to that healthcare system and that was the system's policy. If a DO were to join the group I'd assume the same thing would happen. After each were to pass a certain competency threshold they'd be turned free to the wind.

Now, perhaps you two want to play together in PM and not the main forums? ;)

My only question was if there was any difference between MD and DO training inside hospitals after Residency. It was not " are DO's doctors too?" I'm pre-DO, not MD, no need to act hostile or like condescending pricks. I just asked a simple question. This is a forum, specifically a forum to ask questions and help others, jesus christ.

Nope

In my opinion american osteopathic medical students not only are equal, if not better than all american allopathic students but superior to all out-of-the-country medical schools when it comes to residency issues--period!

In my opinion american osteopathic medical students not only are equal, if not better than all american allopathic students but superior to all out-of-the-country medical schools when it comes to residency issues--period!

Ah, the idealism of youth! :D

You guys get over it! U opted to be a DO. Be a proud DO. Self doubt is destructive. I am now applying for residency. A statisfied DO student.