Residency program research: how to find a history of probation, unfilled slots, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebird123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How can I find out if a program that I have applied to has been on probation in the past, and what for? A couple of programs mentioned it during interviews, but how can I find out if any of the other programs have a history of probation or citations?

Is it possible to find out which programs have had unfilled positions in the past, say, 10 years?

I bet this is a stretch, but is it possible to find out how far down a program had to go on their rank list last year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure the probation status is obtainable.

Many programs are allocated more spots than funding or choose not to fill them all for administrative reasons, so having "unfilled spots" is meaningless. If you mean which places don't fill in the match, that gets published to people who don't match during soap and later is usually available to everyone else through NRMP on it's site I believe.

As for how deep a program goes on it's match list that's a pretty closely guarded secret even within residency programs and not published anywhere ever. You could ask the PD but he's probably not going to tell you.

Thanks! I have been able to find a list of programs that are currently on probation, but I wasn't able to find out about prior probationary status. Isn't it relevant if a program was on probation a few years ago?

I noticed that NRMP says that they had 5 OB/GYN programs which did not fill during the 2014 match, but the document that I found didn't say which 5 those were.

I figured it would be near impossible to find out how deep they go on their rank list, but I thought I would ask on here just in case...

Thanks! I have been able to find a list of programs that are currently on probation, but I wasn't able to find out about prior probationary status. Isn't it relevant if a program was on probation a few years ago?

I noticed that NRMP says that they had 5 OB/GYN programs which did not fill during the 2014 match, but the document that I found didn't say which 5 those were.

I figured it would be near impossible to find out how deep they go on their rank list, but I thought I would ask on here just in case...
The NRMP "Results and Data" document each year has it, you just have to manually search through the section at the end.

Thanks! They certainly don't make it easy to find! I gave up on finding exactly which positions went unfilled and just satisfied myself that it wasn't anywhere I plan to rank.

What's the difference between "continued full accreditation" and just "continued accreditation"? It seems like around 2008 all of the programs start saying "continued accreditation" instead of "continued full accreditation." Just a change in terminology?

What's the difference between "continued full accreditation" and just "continued accreditation"? It seems like around 2008 all of the programs start saying "continued accreditation" instead of "continued full accreditation." Just a change in terminology?

ACGME terminology changes on the regular.

Current statuses are now simply "continued accreditation", reflecting their policy that accreditation isn't "given" for a time period, but "maintained" on a yearly basis. This is in line with the ABIM and other Boards.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help, folks! Is it possible to find the case #s for graduating residents anywhere online, or do I have to ask each program? Now that I'm done with interviews I feel like I'm trying to find ways to decide between my top few programs.