Residency Programs on Probation (link from ACGME)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ljl1982

ljl1982
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks!!

IM only one program, good.

strange to see alot of Derm and OB/GYN programs

thanks for the link

This list isn't fully updated, I know two programs that have received full accreditation that are on this list, previously having been on probation

OBGYN is probably from the hour work limit.

Is there anywhere that we can look up the specific violations? Applying to OB residencies, and while I suspect that you're right about the eighty hour work week, it would be nice to know ahead of time ;)

strange to see alot of Derm and OB/GYN programs

I'm assuming you meant ortho, or maybe surgery? I didn't see any derm programs on there, but there are a surprising number of ortho and ob/gyn programs on the list.

Why would it be surprising that ortho and ob/gyn programs would be on there? In my experience, those were some of the residents who worked the longest hours when I was a med student. I'll bet most or all of these were for work hours violations.

I'm assuming you meant ortho, or maybe surgery? I didn't see any derm programs on there, but there are a surprising number of ortho and ob/gyn programs on the list.

My post was from two years ago, the list you are seeing right now is from 2008-09.

I'm sure it is on SDN somewhere (and I searched), but does anyone know the link where one can see what programs didn't fill in years prior? Thanks much.

Thanks sandraf - greatly appreciated.

FYI, that list won't tell you if a whole hospital is on probation, say for going through bankruptcy.

Any way to tell how LONG a program is on probation for?

The ACGME's website lists all of this information, updated continuously.

Start here: http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

To see the list of programs or institutions in ACGME trouble, choose the "Accreditation Decisions" report, then from the drop down choose "Institutions / Programs with unfavorable decisions" (those are two separate reports.

If you want to know how long a program has been on probation, simply choose the "Accredited Program History" from the search menu, find the program, and their entire history can be reviewed.

What exactly happens to residents at various levels when a program on probation loses accreditation?
Do programs re-apply to AGCME to sort it out?

It's a nightmare. If the program is de-accredited, any further training at that program does not count towards board certification. Hence, all residents at all levels leave.

Other programs are encouraged to pick up these residents, but there is no requirement to do so. The RRC will often allow programs temporary increases in their caps to accomodate these residents, and medicare dollars are increased. Some residents do not find a spot.