Residency requirements, MPH, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADogg MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a question regarding residency requirements in Illinois, as I am choosing which public health school to go to (UIC or U. of Michigan). I was wondering if anyone knew what Illinois schools ask for in terms of proof of residency. I was wondering if I went to UIC school of public health for a year whether I would be able to use that address when applying to med school and thus be considered an Illinois resident (i was also born in Illinois, but do not live there now).
Also, I was wondering if anyone knows how much med schools concern themselves with the classes that I may take in grad school. I know they care about graduate GPA, but the two programs I'm lookin at have different emphases (sp?)--one moreso in virology, and one moreso in general epidemiology. Any words of advice would be appreciated!

-Art :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ADogg MD said:
Hi. I have a question regarding residency requirements in Illinois, as I am choosing which public health school to go to (UIC or U. of Michigan). I was wondering if anyone knew what Illinois schools ask for in terms of proof of residency. I was wondering if I went to UIC school of public health for a year whether I would be able to use that address when applying to med school and thus be considered an Illinois resident (i was also born in Illinois, but do not live there now).
Also, I was wondering if anyone knows how much med schools concern themselves with the classes that I may take in grad school. I know they care about graduate GPA, but the two programs I'm lookin at have different emphases (sp?)--one moreso in virology, and one moreso in general epidemiology. Any words of advice would be appreciated!

Almost all states require you to work full-time or be married to a resident. Being a full-time student almost always would not count.

ADogg MD said:

As for the grad school classes, they can certainly have an impact on your application. I'm pretty sure that schools will look at your MPH the same regardless of whether you focus on virology or epi. My public health degree focused on health policy, which clearly is not science-focused, and schools loved it nonetheless.

I didn't decide to apply to med school until I was in a public health program. I have a really good undergraduate record. When I was interviewing at a certain school, I told them that I had changed my Fall graduate course schedule and wanted them to know about it. I was told they didn't care what courses I took in grad school because of my good undergrad record. The stuff I've done during my MPH was a great conversation topic for interviews as well.

In short, be able to explain why you pursued a public health degree before medical school (I got this question every single time), how public health relates to medicine, and what you plan to do with it in addition to your M.D. If you got these points down, they shouldn't care too much about the specific focus or courses.