Residency status with GI Bill for Dental school applications.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seasquirt33

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i'm planning on using the GI Bill to fund my dental school costs and I know that if I go for a state school, it'll cover the cost. But in regards to acceptance are some schools selective in the amount of in-state versus out-of-state students they accept? And if so, would I be considered in or out of state when applying? I'm assuming out of state, but if anyone knows for sure that'd be great for clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

So, i'm planning on using the GI Bill to fund my dental school costs and I know that if I go for a state school, it'll cover the cost. But in regards to acceptance are some schools selective in the amount of in-state versus out-of-state students they accept? And if so, would I be considered in or out of state when applying? I'm assuming out of state, but if anyone knows for sure that'd be great for clarification.
You will be considered an 'in-state' applicant if you are a resident of that state (it's your primary address, you hold a driver's license there, etc...); you'll be considered an 'out of state' applicant if you don't have those. Residency status does determine how likely you may be accepted to a school; some schools are NOT out-of-state friendly - like Texas for example. However, you will receive in-state/ resident tuition rates at any public program you are accepted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you didn’t separate more than I think 3 years ago. There is a time limit on this aspect of the GI Bill.

Big Hoss
That definitely used to be the case. The law was changed to remove that 3 year countdown; public schools are now required to give users of the Post 9/11 GI Bill in-state tuition regardless of when they left service.

That definitely used to be the case. The law was changed to remove that 3 year countdown; public schools are now required to give users of the Post 9/11 GI Bill in-state tuition regardless of when they left service.
I’m pretty sure you’re wrong on this, see below. The laws were changed to remove the 15 year window to use the GI Bill. I started a program at a state school in 2019 and had to prove my separation date.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure you’re wrong on this, see below. The laws were changed to remove the 15 year window to use the GI Bill. I started a program at a state school in 2019 and had to prove my separation date.

Big Hoss
This is a new, recent law. These things with the GI Bill tend to fly under the radar for some reason and can be tough to find precise information on.

Section 1005. Requirements for in-State tuition
"Removes the requirement for covered individuals to enroll in a course at a public institution of higher learning within three years of being discharged to receive in-state tuition. Also, VA will make publicly available on the VA website a database explaining any public institution’s requirements for beneficiaries to be charged in-state tuition. Effective: August 1, 2021."

Source: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Isakson and Roe Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 [Jan 2021].
-posted as attached PDF file "IsaksonRoeFactSheet"

Additional source:

Attachments

• IsaksonRoeFactSheet.pdf
    337.5 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 1 user