About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Residency

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by yogi, Feb 23, 2000.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. yogi

yogi Member

SDN 10+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    If I want to do an IM residency and then subspecialize, what would be the
    consequence of doing a Primary Care IM residency as opposed to a Categorical
    residency. What are the major differences between the 2? Would I be a less
    appealing/qualified applicant?

For instance, I'd like to do an elective at Maimonides Med Ctr in NYC, but they only have a Primary Care IM program. They say these residents will have advantage over others in their fellowships.

This brings me to another question...they don't have the fellowship I want.

Another question...they say that the residents do 4 months of inpatient each year and they don't specifically say that residents can do electives, although they list a least 1 mo. in most of the subspecialties. Is it possible that some of those "inpatient" months are electives?
  2. rtk

rtk Member

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Yogi;

If you want to sub-specialize in medicine, i.e.: you're planning to do a fellowship after IM residency, you're better off doing a categorical program. Primary care tracks are designed specifically for the resident interested in office-based IM practice. Generally, these programs have more out-patient exposure and training.

If you plan on fellowship, you're better off in a categorical IM University based program, because these programs tend to be better known and tend to have attendings/faculty that are more well-known (for letters of recommendation: this does make a difference). Also university porgrams usually will have a broad selection of fellowships and many select fellows from within their own programs...