Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter00707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that schools pull candidates mainly from their PT program but was wondering what are the chances getting in while attending an outside program. Is it a level playing field or are schools more biased to their students? Im guessing the later but just wanted some input. I am deciding between schools and a big question is do I go to a school with the residency program (given that my chances are higher of getting in after graduation) or go to another school without a residency (first choice) and applying to a different school for residency after I get my DPT. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, correct me if I am wrong, but DPT does not have a residency associated with it. Once you graduate, you get ur license form the state and you can start practicing.

It's not like medical school.

I'm assuming that schools pull candidates mainly from their PT program but was wondering what are the chances getting in while attending an outside program. Is it a level playing field or are schools more biased to their students? Im guessing the later but just wanted some input. I am deciding between schools and a big question is do I go to a school with the residency program (given that my chances are higher of getting in after graduation) or go to another school without a residency (first choice) and applying to a different school for residency after I get my DPT. Thanks.

That's a good question. Although I'm sure it helps to go to a school with a residency program, I think you would have an equal chance if you just did a clinical there. My suggestion is to go to your first choice (without the residency). After spending 3 years in PT school, you my want a change in scenery anyways. Work on establishing great clinicals in that specialty and establish equally great recommendations. If you do this, you should have a good chance at getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm, correct me if I am wrong, but DPT does not have a residency associated with it. Once you graduate, you get ur license form the state and you can start practicing.

It's not like medical school.

Although not required like in med school, there are residencies (and fellowships) in PT. It gives some PTs an extra 1-1.5 years of clinical learning and mentoring and allows them to sit for the board specialty exams much sooner. Residencies are not for everyone but are beneficial for those that want the above, want to do research, or just want to excel in a specialty.

I know that there are residencies, but they appear to be few and far between. The availability of residencies helped me make my decision about PT schools. However, I don't think going to the school would help me that much, but you never know.

I actually brought up this same question durring the interview process. It appears, at least on the surface, that many schools are interested in developing them. From what I was told the programs are something they are working on developing very soon. This might just be a pipe dream for the schools, but who can tell this early.