Resident case log does not add correctly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HatchetJack

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this was previously mentioned on SDN, but it still seems to be incorrect.

It appears that for the totals for external beam cases (aka "EX BEAM IRR" on the resident minimums report) includes:
non-metastatic
metastatic
SBRT
pediatric

but does not include:
SRS

My interpretation of the ACGME program requirements is that all 5 of these should count.

Anyone else have problems with this? If so, I'll ask my PD to notify ACGME.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since residency, but at least as of a few years ago, SRS could only account for certain % of your external cases. Not sure if that's changed.

Haven't heard that before. I'll re-check the program requirements. Any idea what that percentage was?

I'm wondering if they consider SRS apart from XRT cases, more similar to brachy or unsealed source cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard that before. I'll re-check the program requirements. Any idea what that percentage was?

I'm wondering if they consider SRS apart from XRT cases, more similar to brachy or unsealed source cases.

It may not be that way anymore (or maybe I just didn't know the reality of it.... I was in a position where I had a lot more cases than necessary).

According to this thread, there's no limit I think: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=874607

I recalled that this issue was discussed on here previously and was going to continue that thread but couldn't find the thread.

GFunk6: Thanks for the prompt reply. Your previous quote was:

SRS, SBRT, and peds cases count towards the requirement.

There is no upper limit to SRS/SBRT/peds cases you can count to the 450 requirement.

Unsealed sourses and brachy are tallied separately.

That's exactly what I thought as well. Your post was from December 2011 and still now in October 2012, when I logged on today, the ACGME site still does not include SRS. It seems that SBRT/peds are now included. Are we sure that SRS counts towards the external beam total and are not treated like brachy/unsealed source? If so, then the website should be changed.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I thought as well. Your post was from December 2011 and still now in October 2012, when I logged on today, the ACGME site still does not include SRS. It seems that SBRT/peds are now included. Are we sure that SRS counts towards the external beam total and are not treated like brachy/unsealed source? If so, then the website should be changed.

One of our former residents was on very good terms with the head of the RRC so he always kept us in the loop. Also, since our residency was very SRS heavy we were curious to whether or not they counted towards the EBRT requirement. Per his RRC contact SRS is counted towards EBRT and not tallied separately.

They should change the website to reflect this.

Last edited:
They should change the website to reflect this.

Thanks again and agree that the website needs changed. I brought this to the attention of my PD who is planning to bring it up when he meets with a contact he has at RRC/ACGME (can't remember which) at ASTRO.

I checked today and it appears that the ACGME caselog problems have been resolved. At least for my totals, external beam metastatic, external beam non-met, peds, SRS and SBRT are counted towards the resident minimum of 450 external beam irradiation cases. Thanks for the replies earlier.