Residents Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a typical residents pay post 2 year gmo and the according rank that a residents has in Navy resdency factoring in Portsmouth BAH?

Members don't see this ad.

The pay calculator is good. The ballpark figure will be abuout $55K. Going from GMO to resident, you'll lose the 15K Annual ASP and the monthly special pay will go from $417 to $100.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out in 2008 said:
The pay calculator is good. The ballpark figure will be abuout $55K. Going from GMO to resident, you'll lose the 15K Annual ASP and the monthly special pay will go from $417 to $100.

This is incorrect, except the bit about no $15K ASP during residency. The monthly VSP never decreases from $417/month ... interns get $100/month, non-interns <6 years get $417, <8 years $1000, then it gradually decreases after 10 years.

narcusprince said:
What is a typical residents pay post 2 year gmo and the according rank that a residents has in Navy resdency factoring in Portsmouth BAH?

I'm a current resident at Portsmouth s/p 3 year GMO tour (O3 with 4 years):

Base pay 4,392
BAS 187
BAH 1,592 (with dependents)
VSP 417

6588 / month or $79,056 / year

You should also take into account the fact that BAS and BAH are not taxed.

O-3 BAH for the Portsmouth area without dependents is $1311, and O-3 with 3 years base pay (ie, intern + 2 year GMO, now a resident) is 4,028/month

So an unmarried O3 going to Portsmouth after a military internship + 2 year GMO tour would make about 5943/month or $71,316/year, of which about $18,000 is untaxed income.

The previously linked calculator is not helpful for physicians. Get the 2007 pay tables here and do the math yourself. :)

How did you come up with $55,000? According to the pay calculator, a resident with 4 years in service (internship + GMO) will give you $80,783.88 (+/-, depending on location).

Where is the 15,000 additional pay seen for GMOs I cannot find it on the pay charts? can someone break it down to me detailed?

The 15,000 is for being a physician not in a training program. If you're not in internship, residency or fellowship you will get the 15 grand.

"Any of those active duty officers who possess a current unrestricted state license to practice medicine and who are not in internship or initial residency training are eligible to receive an annual ASP bonus of $15,000 in exchange for agreeing to remain on active duty for at least one year."

This is given each year (usually applied for in July and paid in Aug/Sep for USAF)... I don't know what time of year the other services get theirs...

How did you come up with $55,000? According to the pay calculator, a resident with 4 years in service (internship + GMO) will give you $80,783.88 (+/-, depending on location).

Sorry I ballparked it, didn't have time to look at a pay chart. I think I might have been thinking after tax pay as GMO O-3 over 4 yrs and subtract the ASP