Resolved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvanHansenFan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you an ORM applicant? That matters.

Your ECs and GPA are solid, but that MCAT is a HUGE red flag. If you apply without retaking the MCAT, you might be able to get into one of the newer DO schools like ACOM or LMUCOM. However, you are highly non-competitive at any USMD school. If you apply after scoring a 510+ on the MCAT, you'll be competitive at many MD schools, and if you score a 512-513+, you'll be competitive for T30-50 MD schools (certainly University of Colorado).

That being said, if you are just interested in primary care, then a low-tier DO school can certainly do that for you. Just prepare to have your options limited to exactly that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think you got below 500 score? how much prep did you do? what are your FL practice test scores?

Definitely retake. 497 will keep you out of all MD schools (and most DO schools)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your replies.

I consider myself to have interracial background. Would not say I'm a traditional over-represented minority, but certainly not under-represented either.

I am economically disadvantaged, and will be writing/talking about that and the influence of it on my desire to pursue medicine.

I was scoring between 510 and 518 on practice MCATs. I was quite shocked with the huge score drop, and think its attributed to nerves. I had also just gotten back from a lengthy vacation so that could have played a role.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile
Retake. Make sure you simulate test conditions.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can, retake the MCAT before you submit an application. It will make a huge difference when it comes to picking schools. If you say you were getting 510+ on practices, make sure you are fully prepared before taking the MCAT.

If you feel compelled to submit an AMCAS/AACOMAS application before you retake an MCAT, start with your in-state programs. You can always add once you get a desirable MCAT outcome. Don't waste your efforts or money otherwise.

I posted this in the DO WAMC, but would appreciate some feedback from the MD WAMC as well.

Should I retake the MCAT, or should I apply broadly to MD+DO this upcoming cycle?

Year in school: Junior at a public college in CT. Majoring in Biology.
  • Country/state of residence: CT
  • Cumulative GPA: ~3.8
  • Science GPA: ~3.8
  • AO GPA: 4.0
  • MCAT Scores: 497 (balanced)
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): Started research end of freshman year. Have 2 poster presentations done so far (one at a local med school) and a first-author publication, low-tier journal. Have upwards of 500 hours and counting.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites: 250 hours hospital volunteering program, 200 hours volunteer EMT.
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: 100 hours total: 20 hours internal medicine, 20 hours cardiology, 20 hours adult primary care, and 40 hours respiratory and critical care medicine. Will get letter of rec from respiratory and critical care physician. No DO shadowing done as there are not many in my state. However, I know a lot about OMT and can talk about my passion for this in terms of the holistic approach to improving and preventing ailments.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteer Chess instructor through college team (130 hours), Outreach coordinator to educate middle and high schools students about opportunities to engage in STEM careers (75 hours). Work mainly with underserved and first-generation college students for both activities.
  • Extracurricular activities: Competitive Chess player and Violin player.
  • Employment history: 6 months International Orientation Ambassador at my college, 4 months intern at Boehringer Ingelheim (one of the top pharmaceutical companies).
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): Nope! Hope to be the first physician in my family!
  • Specialty of interest: Primary Care
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes!
I can't recommend applying until you retake the MCAT and do better.

IF test taking anxiety issues are causing you to under perform, those can be fixed.

This, agree 100% with Goro. Were you taking official AAMC MCATs, timed, under conditions approximating Test Day? If you were, you got eaten alive by anxiety. This can be fixed; if you had to score badly on the MCAT it's better to have that as a reason than things that are harder to fix like poor content review. As an MCAT tutor: I believe in you; I've had students with anxiety issues improve as much as 20 points. A 520 on Test Day is not an unrealistic goal, based on your full length practice tests.

Work on the anxiety and retake the MCAT.

This, agree 100% with Goro. Were you taking official AAMC MCATs, timed, under conditions approximating Test Day? If you were, you got eaten alive by anxiety. This can be fixed; if you had to score badly on the MCAT it's better to have that as a reason than things that are harder to fix like poor content review. As an MCAT tutor: I believe in you; I've had students with anxiety issues improve as much as 20 points. A 520 on Test Day is not an unrealistic goal, based on your full length practice tests.

Work on the anxiety and retake the MCAT.
Yes, I had to take MCAT twice many moon ago. Get tested by a neuropsychologist if possible. Once I got my issue narrowed down, I was able to address the deficit and happily in my 3rd year of MS, getting ready to apply for residency next year.