Resource for cardiac catheterization physiology/anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esob

Article 14
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've ran across a few of these questions and the answers seem more dependent on knowing procedural norms as opposed to knowing CV A&P.

For example, you a question about removing a thrombus from the right atria or the left vent or the lung. Then the answer choices will leave you between going up through the femoral vein to reach your destination or go up through the femoral artery to reach your destination, and the answer seems to vary based on the procedure (vein or artery).

Is there some good resource that details which procedures are better suited for the veinous route and vice versa?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've ran across a few of these questions and the answers seem more dependent on knowing procedural norms as opposed to knowing CV A&P.

For example, you a question about removing a thrombus from the right atria or the left vent or the lung. Then the answer choices will leave you between going up through the femoral vein to reach your destination or go up through the femoral artery to reach your destination, and the answer seems to vary based on the procedure (vein or artery).

Is there some good resource that details which procedures are better suited for the venous route and vice versa?

I'll summarize it for you.

If you go through the femoral vein you'll end up going through inferior vena up into the right atrium and up into the right ventricle and into pulmonary artery (i.e. right side of the heart). You can do a right heart cath this way to measure pressures, remove thrombus from right atria and for catheter-directed thrombolysis for pulmonary embolism (clots that get stuck in pulmonary artery). To remember this just remember systemic veins bring back blood to right side of the heart.

If you go through the femoral artery you'll end up in descending aorta up into the ascending aorta through the aortic valve into the left ventricle (i.e. left side of the heart). You can also access the coronary arteries (the openings of coronary arteries which sit above the aortic valve). This femoral arterial access is used to do left heart catheterization, TAVRs, and PCIs (stents). To remember this, just remember, systemic arteries carry blood away FROM the left ventricle.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll summarize it for you.

If you go through the femoral vein you'll end up going through inferior vena up into the right atrium and up into the right ventricle and into pulmonary artery (i.e. right side of the heart). You can do a right heart cath this way to measure pressures, remove thrombus from right atria and for catheter-directed thrombolysis for pulmonary embolism (clots that get stuck in pulmonary artery). To remember this just remember systemic veins bring back blood to right side of the heart.

If you go through the femoral artery you'll end up in descending aorta up into the ascending aorta through the aortic valve into the left ventricle (i.e. left side of the heart). You can also access the coronary arteries (the openings of coronary arteries which sit above the aortic valve). This femoral arterial access is used to do left heart catheterization, TAVRs, and PCIs (stents). To remember this, just remember, systemic arteries carry blood away FROM the left ventricle.

Thanks, that was a great summary and it makes perfect sense.