Resource for finding clinical programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDaoDoughnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of looking into Psych PHD programs. It is an arduous task to look through all the schools and their program requirements.

Does anyone know of a website that can help me eliminate schools quickly?
(Something like a search engine with advanced options).

All help is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they don't provide tuition remission and a stipend, cross it off your list. That should help to eliminate a good amount of garbage programs.
Exactly. A stipend and tuition remission are my two biggest criteria.
It is still a pain in the ass, however, to go through every college individually and read all their admissions criteria/financial aid nonsense.

~Dao~

There is some risk involved, but you may also want to keep an eye out for very good programs that are new and thus are not yet accredited, but are up-and-coming. These probably wouldn't be your first choice programs, but may be solid backup programs. North Dakota State University and Mississippi State University immediately come to mind (South Alabama used to be on the list, but they recently received accreditation from APA). To the best of my knowledge these programs are all funded (e.g. tuition remission and stipend).

Reactions: 1 user
I started my search on psychologymaps.com based solely on cities and states that I could see myself spending 5+ years in, then I made a list of 30-40 schools and began checking their faculty pages to see whose research I best matched with, then I ordered the insider's guide (survival guide?) to clinical/counseling psychology. I'm applying for the '15-'16 year, and I have about 15-20 schools on my short list, each with a primary and backup faculty member that I'd like to select as a mentor. I started reaching out to faculty a few weeks ago and have a pretty good idea as to who is and who is not accepting students next year, but I'll likely reach out again in a few weeks just to confirm.

I started my search on psychologymaps.com based solely on cities and states that I could see myself spending 5+ years in, then I made a list of 30-40 schools and began checking their faculty pages to see whose research I best matched with, then I ordered the insider's guide (survival guide?) to clinical/counseling psychology. I'm applying for the '15-'16 year, and I have about 15-20 schools on my short list, each with a primary and backup faculty member that I'd like to select as a mentor. I started reaching out to faculty a few weeks ago and have a pretty good idea as to who is and who is not accepting students next year, but I'll likely reach out again in a few weeks just to confirm.

Fun fact: psychologymaps.com originated on SDN about 5 or so years back.

Reactions: 1 user